With the implementation of the new aquatic animal disease reporting in the Asia Pacific region from January 2021, and in lieu of the published QAAD Reports (last issue published was 4th quarter of 2020), NACA is publishing reported aquatic animal diseases submitted by countries in the Asia-Pacific region. This report covers the first quarter of 2023 and the original and updated reports can be accessed at https://enaca.org/?id=8. The following diseases were reported:
- Infection with Aphanomyces invadans (EUS): Bangladesh in catla (Catla catla) and mrigal (Cirrhinus mrigala); and, India in tilapia (Oreochromis sp.), snakeheads (Channa striata and Channa sp.), rohu (Labeo rohita), Kuria labeo (L. gonius), catla (L. catla), Cirrhinus mrigala, grass carp (Ctenopharyngodon idella), silver carp (Hypopthalmichthys molitrix) and catfish (Wallago attu).
- Infection with red seabream iridovirus (RSIV): Chinese Taipei in hybrid grouper (Epinephelus fuscoguttatus x E. lanceolatus); and, India in seabass (Lates calcarifer).
- Carp edema virus disease (CEV): India in Koi carps (Cyprinus carpio)
- Viral encephalopathy and retinopathy (VER): Australia in groupers (Epinephelus lanceolatus and E. malabaricus); Chinese Taipei in hybrid grouper (Epinephelus fuscoguttatus x E. lanceolatus), seabass (L. calcarifer) and Japanese seabass (Lateolabrax japonicus).
- Infection with Tilapia lake virus (TiLV): India in tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus).
- Infection with Perkinsus olseni: India in farmed mussel (Perna viridis), and wild samples of charru mussel (Mytella strigata) and short-neck clam (Paphia malabarica).
- Infection with white spot syndrome virus (WSSV): Australia in black tiger shrimp (Penaeus monodon); Bangladesh in mudcrab (Scylla serrata); Chinese Taipei in whiteleg shrimp (P. vannamei); India in P. monodon and P. vannamei; and, the Philippines in P. vannamei (nauplii, PL, juveniles, grow-out culture, and adult), P. indicus (grow-out culture), P. monodon, and S. serrata (grow-out culture).
- Infection with infectious hypodermal and haematopoietic necrosis virus (IHHNV): the Philippines in P. vannamei (grow out culture).
Acute hepatopancreatic necrosis disease (AHPND): Chinese Taipei in P. vannamei; and, the Philippines in P. vannamei (PL and grow-out culture) and P. monodon (broodstock).
- Infection with Infectious myonecrosis virus (IMNV): India in P. vannamei.
- Hepatopancreatic microsporidiosis caused by Enterocytozoon hepatopenaei (EHP): Chinese Taipei in P. vannamei; and, India in P. vannamei.
- Infection with Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis: Australia in tusked frog (Adelotus brevis).
- Bangladesh reported Infection with Streptococcus agalactiae in Tilapia (O. niloticus), and Infection with Aeromonas spp. in shing catfish (Heteropneustes fossilis), and pangas catfish (Pangasianodon hypophthalmus).
Senior Programme Officer
Health and Biosecurity