With the implementation of the new aquatic animal disease reporting in the Asia Pacific region from January 2021, and in lieu of the published QAAD Reports (last issue published was 4th quarter of 2020), NACA is publishing reported aquatic animal diseases submitted by countries in the Asia-Pacific region. This report covers the third quarter of 2021. The following diseases were reported:
- Infection with Aphanomyces invadans (EUS): India in green chromide (Etroplus suratensis).
- Viral encephalopathy and retinopathy (VER): Australia in farmed barramundi (Lates calcarifer) and giant grouper (Ephinephelus lanceolatus), and wild orange spotted grouper (E. coioides); and New Caledonia (affected species not specified).
- Infection with red seabream iridovirus (RSIV): India in molly (Poecilia sp.), dwarf gourami (Trichogaster lalius), three-spot gourami (T. trichopterus), and angelfish (Pterophyllum sp.).
- Enteric septicaemia of catfish: Vietnam in pangas catfish (Pangasianodon hypophthalmus)
- Carp edema virus disease (CEV): New Caledonia (affected species not specified).
- Infection with Tilapia lake virus (TILV): India in tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus); and, Philippines in tilapia (juveniles and adults).
Infection with abalone herpesvirus: Australia in wild green lip abalone (Haliotis laevigata) and black lip abalone (H. rubra).
- Infection with white spot syndrome virus (WSSV): India in whiteleg shrimp (Penaeus vannamei); Philippines in PLs and juveniles of tiger shrimp (Penaeus monodon) and whiteleg shrimp (P. vannamei), and broodstock of mudcrab (Scylla serrata); and, Vietnam in P. monodon and P. vannamei.
- Infection with infectious hypodermal and haematopoietic necrosis virus (IHHNV): Philippines in tiger shrimp (P. monodon; PL), whiteleg shrimp (P. vannamei), and Indian prawn (P. indicus).
- Acute hepatopancreatic necrosis disease (AHPND): Chinese Taipei in tiger shrimp (P. monodon); Philippines in PLs and juveniles of whiteleg shrimp (P. vannamei); and, Vietnam in P. vannamei and P. monodon.
- Infection with Infectious Myonecrosis Virus (IMNV): India in whiteleg shrimp (P. vannamei).
- Hepatopancreatic microsporidiosis caused by Enterocytozoon hepatopenaei (EHP): India in whiteleg shrimp (P. vannamei); and, Philippines in PLs and juveniles of tiger shrimp (P. monodon), and juveniles of whiteleg shrimp (P. vannamei) and Indian prawn (P. indicus).
- Infection with decapod iridescent virus 1 (DIV-1): Chinese Taipei in freshwater crayfish (Cherax quadricarinatus).
- Infection with Ranavirus species: Chinese Taipei bullfrog (Lithobates catesbeianus).
- Infection with Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis: New Caledonia (affected species not specified).
Bangladesh reported Infection with Staphylococcus sp. in gulsha (Mystus cavasius) and Infection with Aeromonas spp. in stinging catfish (Heteropnuestes fossilis) and koi (Cyrpinus carpio), while Hong Kong SAR reported Infection with Infectious Spleen and Kidney Necrosis Virus (ISKVN) in Sabah hybrid grouper (E. fuscoguttatus x E. lanceolatus).
Senior Programme Officer
Aquatic Animal Health Programme