Reported Aquatic Animal Diseases in the Asia-Pacific Region During the Fourth Quarter of 2021
With the implementation of the new aquatic animal disease reporting in the Asia Pacific region from January 2021, and in lieu of the published QAAD Reports (last issue published was 4th quarter of 2020), NACA is publishing reported aquatic animal diseases submitted by countries in the Asia-Pacific region. This report covers the fourth quarter of 2021 and the original and updated reports can be accessed from the QAAD page. The following diseases were reported:
- Infection with Haematopoietic necrosis virus (IHN): Australia in redfin perch (Perca fluviatilis).
- Infection with Aphanomyces invadans (EUS): Australia in wild Mugil cephalus.
- Viral encephalopathy and retinopathy (VER): Australia in farmed barramundi (Lates calcarifer) and wild Mugil cephalus, Retropinna semoni, Potamalosa richmondia and Trachystoma petardi; Chinese Taipei in Asian seabass (Lates calcarifer); and, Singapore in diseased coral trout (Plectropomus leopardus); New Caledonia (species not specified).
- Enteric septicaemia of catfish: Vietnam in pangas catfish (Pangasianodon micronema and hypophthalmus)
- Card edema virus (CEV): New Caledonia (species not specified).
- Infection with Tilapia lake virus (TILV): Philippines in tilapia (fry, fingerlings and juveniles).
- Infection with abalone herpesvirus: Australia in wild green lip abalone (Haliotis laevigata) and black lip abalone (H. rubra).
- Infection with white spot syndrome virus (WSSV): Chinese Taipei in whiteleg shrimp (Penaeus vannamei); Philippines in PLs, juveniles and grow-out culture of tiger shrimp (Penaeus monodon) and whiteleg shrimp (vannamei), and broodstock of mudcrab (Scylla serrata); Sri Lanka (species not specified); and, Vietnam in P. monodon and P. vannamei.
- Infection with infectious hypodermal and haematopoietic necrosis virus (IHHNV): Philippines in vannamei (PLs and grow-out culture).
- Acute hepatopancreatic necrosis disease (AHPND): Philippines in juveniles and grow-out vannamei, juveniles and adult P. monodon and Indian prawn (P. indicus); and, Vietnam in P. vannamei and P. monodon.
- Hepatopancreatic microsporidiosis caused by Enterocytozoon hepatopenaei (EHP): Philippines in PLs and grow-out culture of monodon, and PLs, juveniles and grow-out culture of P. vannamei.
- Philippines in PLs and grow-out culture of P. monodon, and PLs, juveniles and grow-out culture of P. vannamei.
- Infection with Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis: Australia in Litoria raniformis; New Caledonia (species not specified).
Bangladesh reported Infection with Streptococcus agalactiae in tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus), Infection with Aeromonas sp. in shing catfish (Heteropnuestes fossilis), and Infection with Staphylococcus spp. in shing catfish and pabda catfish (Ompok pabda).
Senior Programme Officer
Aquatic Animal Health Programme
Creative Commons Attribution.