Mr Simon Wilkinson, Communications Manager
Information and Communications, Network of Aquaculture Centres in Asia-Pacific
Skills: Freshwater finfish
Expert in electronic communications and information system design; Editor and software developer for this website; Editor of Aquaculture Asia Magazine; author of the Tuskfish CMS software project and developer for ImpressCMS; FAO consultant on information management. Twenty years experience working in international fisheries and aquaculture policy, including 17 years working for an international development organisation in communications, training and capacity building.
Culture-based fisheries (CBF) are a useful development strategy for improving the income and food security of rural communities. CBF requires minimal capital outlay, mobilising farming communities to make use of existing small dams and reservoirs for the secondary purpose of foodfish production. The objective of this project is to introduce community-based CBF to Cambodia, and to consolidate the gains of communities that have adopted CBF in Lao PDR.
The AFSPAN Project was a three-year initiative to improve our understanding of the role of aquaculture in food security, poverty alleviation and human nutrition. The project developed new methodologies to quantify the impact of aquaculture in developing nations and low income food deficit countries. The findings will contribute to more efficient planning, coordination and implementation of research and development programmes increasing aquaculture impact on food security, livelihoods and poverty alleviation for the poor.
Investigation and bridging major gaps in aquaculture statistics in selected important aquaculture producing countries in Asia
Accurate statistics are increasingly crucial to inform policy making and safeguard aquaculture development. Asian countries collectively contribute close to 90 percent of world aquaculture production in recent years. However, data on production is incomplete or unavailable in some countries. This FAO-funded project will assess the status of aquaculture statistical reporting in four Asian countries.
- Wilkinson, S. 2017. Tuskfish: A single-user micro-CMS. Source code available from Github.
- Virapat, C., Wilkinson, S., and Soto, D. Developing an environmental monitoring system to strengthen fisheries and aquaculture resilience and improve early warning in the Lower Mekong Basin. FAO, Rome, 100 pp.
- De Silva, S.S., Ingram, B.A. and Wilkinson, S. (eds.) 2015. Perspectives on culture-based fisheries developments in Asia. NACA Monograph Series No. 3, 126p.
- Davy, F. B., Soto, D., Bhat, B.V., Umesh, N.R., Yucel-Gier, G., Hough, C.A.M., Yuan, D., Infante, R., Ingram, B., Phoung, N.T., Wilkinson, S. and De Silva, S. (2012). Investing in knowledge, communications and training/extension for responsible aquaculture. In: Farming the Waters for People and Food. Proceedings of the Global Conference on Aquaculture 2010, Phuket, Thailand. 22-25 September 2010 (FAO and NACA).
- Wilkinson, S. (2012). Biology and aquaculture of the rohu, Labeo rohita. Aquaculture Asia, Vol XVII No. 4.
- Wilkinson, S. (2009). Incremental backups with rsnapshot: A ‘how to’ guide for the QNAP TS-439 / TS-639, and an introduction to use of IPKG. QNAP Forums. 5pp.
- Wilkinson, S. (2008). Better management practices for Vietnamese catfish. Aquaculture Asia, Vol. XIII, No. 2.
- Wilkinson, S. and Collins, J. (2007). Guidelines on digital publishing: A practical approach for small organizations with limited resources. FAO/FishCode Review No. 20, FAO, Rome, 68pp.
- Wilkinson, S. (2006). Establishment of post-tsunami rehabilitation information units to facilitate coordination of effort in Thailand. Aquaculture Asia, Vol. XI No. 3.
- Wilkinson, S., Sim, S.Y. and Suansook, Y. (2004). eNACA: A digital knowledge-sharing strategy for aquaculture. Proceedings of the 4th International Conference of the Asian Federation of Information Technology in Agriculture and the 2nd World Congress of Computers in Agriculture and Natural Resources, pp 670-675.
- Wilkinson, S. (2003). Aquaculture fundamentals: Getting the most out of your feed Part II: The role of macronutrients. Aquaculture Asia, Vol. VIII No. 2.
- Wilkinson, S. (2003). Aquaculture fundamentals: Getting the most out of your feed. Aquaculture Asia, Vol. VIII No. 1.
- Wilkinson, S. (2002). Aquaculture Fundamentals: The use of lime, gypsum, alum and potassium permanganate in water quality management. Aquaculture Asia, Vol. VII No. 2.
- Wilkinson, S. (2002). Aquaculture fundamentals: A general approach to disease treatment and control. Aquaculture Asia, Vol. VII No. 1.
Network of Aquaculture Centres in Asia-Pacific
PO Box 1040, Kasetsart University Post Office
Mobile: +662 561 1728
Fax: +662 561 1727
External profile URL