Prof. Dong Wei, Professor
School of Food Science and Engineering, South China University of Technology
My research interests focus on bioconversion and nutrition engineering, mainly in microalgal biotechnology. Specific interests include:
- Cell response and adaptation to nutrients and environmental factors, inclulding physiology, biochemistry, transcriptomics, metabolomics.
- Design and integration of microalgal cultivation and downstream systems, such as microplates, tubular photobioreactors, fermentation and ultra-filtration.
- Wastewater treatment and resource recycling utilisation, with technologies ranging from bio-waste to microalgal biomass for feed and fertiliser.
I have been a professor in the School of Food Science and Engineering, South China University of Technology since 2002. I have previously worked in research at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology; Ohio State University in USA as a visiting scholar; and senior visiting professor in Hamburg University of Technology in Germany.
- Wastewater treatment and resource utilisation by yeast-microalgae co-culture systems.
- CO2 supplementation-driven TAG accumulation in oleaginous microalga Coccomyxa subellipsoidea C-169: Lipidomic profiles and mechanism.
- Multiple technologies development for functional products preparation from marine microalgae and aquacultural application.
- Key technology development for fucoxanthin preparation through highly effective cultivation of marine diatoms.
- Key technology development and integration for high productivity of astaxanthin from Chlorella.
- Mass culture and biodiesel preparation from microalgae in wastewater.
- Omics study and biomarkers identification from energy microalgae.
- Lei Qin, Lu Liu, Dong Wei*，Zhongming Wang, Weining Chen. 2019. The mixed culture of microalgae Chlorella pyrenoidosa and yeast Yarrowia lipolytica for microbial biomass production. Bioprocess and Biosystems Engineering.
- Jun-hui Chen, Lu Liu, Phaik-Eem Lim, Dong Wei*. 2019. Effects of sugarcane bagasse hydrolysate (SCBH) on cell growth and fatty acid accumulation of heterotrophic Chlorella protothecoides. Bioprocess and Biosystems Engineering.
- Lei Qin, Dong Wei*, Zhongming Wang, Mohammed Asraful Alam. 2019. Advantage assessment of mixed culture of Chlorella vulgaris and Yarrowia lipolytica for treatment of liquid digestate of yeast industry and cogeneration of biofuel feedstock. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology.
- Xunya Jiang#, Lu Liu#, Junhui Chen, Dong Wei*. 2018. Effects of Xanthophyllomyces dendrorhous on cell growth, lipid and astaxanthin production of Chromochloris zofingiensis by mixed culture strategy. Journal of Applied Phycology 30: 3009–3015.
- Zongyi Yu#, Lu Liu#, Junhui Chen, Xinpeng Wang, Dong Wei*. 2018. Effect of crude glycerol on heterotrophic growth of Chlorella pyrenoidosa and Coccomyxa subellipsoidea C-169. Journal of Applied Phycology 30: 2989–2996
- Lu Liu, Jun-hui Chen, Phaik-Eem Lim, Done Wei*. 2018. Dual-species cultivation of microalgae and yeast for enhanced biomass and microbial lipid production. Journal of Applied Phycology 30: 2997–3007.
- Lei Qin, Lu Liu, Zhongming Wang, Weining Chen, Dong Wei*. 2018. Efficient resource recycling from liquid digestate by microalgae-yeast mixed culture and the assessment of key gene transcription related to nitrogen assimilation in microalgae. Bioresource Technology 264: 90–97.
- Lu Liu, Junhui Chen, Phaik-Eem Lim, Dong Wei*. 2018. Enhanced single cell oil production by mixed culture of Chlorella pyrenoidosa and Rhodotorula glutinis using cassava bagasse hydrolysate as carbon source. Bioresource Technology 255: 140-148.
- Chen, J-h., Liu, L., Wei, D.*. 2017. Enhanced production of astaxanthin by Chromochloris zofingiensis in a microplate-based culture system under high light irradiation, Bioresource Technology 245: 518–529.
- Qin, L., Liu, L., Zeng, A-P., Wei, D.*. 2017. From low-cost substrates to single cell oils synthesized by oleaginous yeasts, Bioresource Technology 245: 1507–1519.
- Zhu, B., Chen, G., Cao, X., Wei, D.*. 2017. Molecular characterization of CO2 sequestration and assimilation in microalgae and its biotechnological applications, Bioresource Technology 244: 1207–1215.
- Junhui Chen, Dong Wei*, Georg Pohnert. 2017. Rapid estimation of astaxanthin and carotenoid-to-chlorophyll ratio in the green microalga Chromochloris zofingiensis using flow cytometry. Mar. Drugs 2017: 231.
- Lu Liu, Georg Pohnert, Dong Wei*. 2016. Extracellular metabolites from industrial microalgae and their biotechnological potential. Mar. Drugs 14(10): 191.
- Huifeng Peng, Dong Wei*, Gu Chen*, Feng Chen. 2016. Transcriptome analysis reveals global regulation in response to CO2 supplementation in oleaginous microalga Coccomyxa subellipsoidea C-169. Biotechnology for Biofuels 9:151.
- Na Lu, Jun-hui Chen, Dong Wei*, Feng Chen, Gu Chen. 2016. Global metabolic regulation of the snow alga Chlamydomonas nivalis in response to nitrate or phosphate deprivation by a metabolome profile analysis. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 17: 694.
Building 13 Room 314
School of Food Science and Engineering
South China University of Technology
Wushan Road 381
Mobile: +86 20 87113849
Fax: +86 20 87113849
External profile URL