Dr Vinaya Kumar Katneni, Scientist
ICAR-Central Institute of Brackishwater Aquaculture
My research interests include fish genetics and breeding, population genetics and fish biotechnology aspects for improvement of brackishwater finfish and shellfish. I have experience in genetic charactersation of shrimp stocks inhabiting the Indian coast. I have notable achievements in shrimp genomics such as building SNP marker-based linkage maps and conducting genome-wide association studies. In recent years, I gained expertise in aquaculture bioinformatics tools and have been involved in conducting differential gene expression studies and building complete genomes of bacteria, virus and shrimp utilising NGS datasets.
- Whole genome sequencing of Indian white shrimp, Penaeus indicus.
- Poverty alleviation through prevention and future control of two major socio-economically important diseases in Asian aquaculture.
- Investigations on pathogenic microorganisms of shrimp aquaculture using metagenomics and other bioinformatics approaches.
- Upgradation of breeding and culture technology of Indian white shrimp Fenneropenaeus indicus through stock evaluation and culture demonstrations.
- Network project on agricultural bioinformatics and computational biology.
Journal articles / periodicals
- Vinaya Kumar, K., Shekhar, M. S., Otta, S. K., Karthic, K., Ashok Kumar, J., Gopikrishna, G. and Vijayan, K. K. (2018). First Report of a Complete Genome Sequence of White Spot Syndrome Virus from India. Genome Announcements, Vol. 6(8), e00055–18.
- Vij S, Kuhl H, Kuznetsova IS, Komissarov A, Yurchenko AA, Van Heusden P, et al. (2016). Chromosomal-Level Assembly of the Asian Seabass Genome Using Long Sequence Reads and Multilayered Scaffolding. PLoS Genetics, Vol. 12(4), e1005954.
- Baranski M, Gopikrishna G, Robinson NA, Katneni VK, et al. (2014). The Development of a High Density Linkage Map for Black Tiger Shrimp (Penaeus monodon) Based on cSNPs. PLoS ONE, Vol. 9(1), e85413.
- Vij S, Purushothaman K, Gopikrishna G, Lau D, Saju JM, Shamsudheen KV, Kumar KV, et al. (2014). Barcoding of Asian seabass across its geographic range provides evidence for its bifurcation into two distinct species. Frontiers in Marine Sciences, Vol. 1, pp. 30.
- Robinson N.A., Gopikrishna G., Baranski M., Vinaya Kumar K., Shekhar M.S., Shanmugakarthik J., Jothivel S., Gopal C., Ravichandran P., Gitterle T., Ponniah A.G. (2014). QTL for white spot syndrome virus resistance and the sex-determining locus in the Indian black tiger shrimp (Penaeus monodon). BMC Genomics, Vol. 15, pp. 731.
- Geetha E., Chakravarty, A.K., and Vinaya Kumar, K. (2006). Genetic persistency of first lactation milk yield estimated using random regression model for Indian Murrah buffaloes. Asian Australasian Journal of Animal Sciences, Vol. 19 (12), pp. 1696-1701.
- Ayan Mukherjee, Gulshan Dass, Jagan Mohanarao, G., Vinay Kumar K., et al. (2015). Copy Number Differences of Y Chromosomal Genes Between Superior and Inferior Quality Semen Producing Crossbred (Bos taurus × Bos indicus) Bulls. Animal Biotechnology, Vol. 26(1), pp. 65-72.
- Shekhar, M.S., Dilli Kumar, M., Vinaya Kumar, K., et al. (2012). Transcript Analysis of White Spot Syndrome Virus Latency and Phagocytosis Activating Protein Genes in Infected Shrimp (Penaeus monodon). Indian Journal of Virology, Vol. 23(3), pp. 333–343.
- Geetha E., Chakravarty, A.K., and Vinaya Kumar, K. (2007). Estimates of genetic parameters using random regression test day model for first lactation milk yield in Murrah buffaloes. Indian Journal of Animal Science, Vol. 77 (9), pp. 898-901.
- Kumar S., Jangam A.K., Akhil V., Rajendran V., Katneni V.K., et al. (2017). Draft genome sequence of the luminescent strain Vibrio campbellii LB102, isolated from a black tiger shrimp (Penaeus monodon) broodstock rearing system. Genome Announcements, Vol. 5, e00342-17.
- Shekhar, M.S., Gomathi, A., Dubey, N.K., Vinaya Kumar, K. and Vijayan, K.K. (2017) Effect of immune gene silencing in WSSV infected tiger shrimp Penaeus monodon. Fish & Shellfish Immunology, Vol. 70, pp. 252-259.
- Ashok Kumar, J., Bhuvaneswari, T., Navaneeth Krishnan, A., Vinaya Kumar Katneni, Satheesha Avunje, Monendra Grover, Sujeet Kumar, Alavandi, S.V., and K.K. Vijayan. (2018). Draft Genome Sequence of Vibrio parahaemolyticus Strain VP14, Isolated from a Penaeus vannamei Culture Farm. Genome Announcements, Vol. 6(11), e00149-18.
- Swathi, A., Shekhar, M.S., Vinaya Kumar, K. and Vijayan, K.K. (2018). Genome size estmation of brackishwater fishes and penaeid shrimps by flow cytometry. Molecular Biology Reports, Vol. 45, pp. 951-960.
- Shekhar, M.S., Natarajan, M. and Vinaya Kumar, K. (2011). PCR-RFLP and sequence analysis of 12S and 16S rRNA mitochondrial genes of Grey mullets from East coast of India. Indian Journal of Geo-Marine Sciences, Vol. 40(4), pp. 529-534.
- Gopikrishna, G., Gopal, C., Shekhar, M.S., Vinaya Kumar, K., Kannappan, S. and Ponniah, A.G. (2012). Growth performance and white spot syndrome virus resistance in families of kuruma shrimp (Marsupenaeus japonicus). Indian Journal of Geo-Marine Sciences, Vol. 41(1), pp. 56-60.
- Vinaya Kumar, K. and Srinivasa Raghavan. 2014. Marker assisted selection in shrimps. p 175-193. In: JK Sundaray, M Sukham, RK Mohanty and SK Otta (eds). Frontiers in Aquaculture. Narendra Publishing House, 366 p.
ICAR - Central Institute of Brackishwater Aquaculture
75 Santhome High Road
R.A. Puram, MRC Nagar
Chennai – 600 028
Mobile: +91 9940545087
Fax: +91 44 24610311