I have two research foci. The first is RNA-based silencing technology (RNAi) for shrimp disease control. Currently, my group and I have engineered organisms that are considered as ‘‘Generally Regarding As Safe’’ by the US Food and Drug Administration such as microalgae and probiotics for double-stranded RNA production. Another focused research is nucleic acid-based detection for shrimp and fish viruses with improved accuracy and increased sensitivity. I have developed multiplex PCR for convenient differentiation of shrimp specimens with real IHHNV infection, and those with insert types, which are practically used currently.
- Control of rice blast disease by dsRNA treatment: Phase 1 Specific dsRNA to rice blast disease production.
- Establishment of RNAi-based algal technology for sustainable disease control in shrimp cultivation.
- Genome editing of probiotics with CRISPR/CAS9 to improve efficiency of double-stranded (ds)RNA synthesis for controlling shrimp viral diseases.
- Development of in situ loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) for high-sensitivity histopathological detection of infectious hypodermal and hematopoietic necrosis virus in shrimp.
- Whole genome analysis of microsporidia Enterocytozoon hepatopenaei (EHP) for better understanding of virulence mechanism and the application to decrease EHP infection in shrimp.
- Environmental risk assessment of genetically modified microorganisms in shrimp feed.
- Use of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii for production and delivery of double-stranded RNA to protect shrimp against virus.
- Production of double-stranded (ds) RNA in probiotic bacteria for antiviral defense in shrimp.
- Arunrut, N., Jitrakorn, S., Saksmerprome, V. and Kiatpathomchai, W. (2019). Double-Loop-Mediated Isothermal Amplification (D-LAMP) using colourimetric gold nanoparticle probe for rapid detection of infectious Penaeus stylirostris densovirus (PstDNV) with reduced false-positive results from endogenous viral elements. Aquaculture, Vol. 510, pp. 131-137.
- Charoonnart, P., Worakajit, N., Zedler, J.A., Meetam, M., Robinson, C. and Saksmerprome, V. (2019). Generation of microalga Chlamydomonas reinhardtii expressing shrimp antiviral dsRNA without supplementation of antibiotics. Scientific Reports, Vol. 9(1), p. 3164.
- Charoonnart, P., Purton, S. and Saksmerprome, V. (2018). Applications of microalgal biotechnology for disease control in aquaculture. Biology, Vol. 7(2), p. 24.
- Saksmerprome, V., Charoonnart, P. and Flegel, T.W. (2017). Feasibility of dsRNA treatment for post-clearing SPF shrimp stocks of newly discovered viral infections using Laem Singh virus (LSNV) as a model. Virus Research, Vol. 235, pp. 73-76.
- Thammasorn, T., Jitrakorn, S., Charoonnart, P., Sirimanakul, S., Rattanarojpong, T., Chaturongakul, S. and Saksmerprome, V. (2017). Probiotic bacteria (Lactobacillus plantarum) expressing specific double-stranded RNA and its potential for controlling shrimp viral and bacterial diseases. Aquaculture International, Vol. 25(5), pp. 1679-1692.
- Withyachumnarnkul, B., Palang, I., Reungsri, J., Sirithammajak, S., Jitrakorn, S., Kiatpathomchai, W., Saksmerprome, V., Pongtippatee, P. and Withyachumnarnkul, B. (2017). Nile tilapia reared under full-strength seawater: Hemato-immunological changes and susceptibility to pathogens. Aquaculture, Vol. 480, pp. 42-50.
- Dong, H.T., Jitrakorn, S., Kayansamruaj, P., Pirarat, N., Rodkhum, C., Rattanarojpong, T., Senapin, S. and Saksmerprome, V. (2017). Infectious spleen and kidney necrosis disease (ISKND) outbreaks in farmed barramundi (Lates calcarifer) in Vietnam. Fish & Shellfish Immunology, Vol. 68, pp. 65-73.
- Suebsing, R., Pradeep, P.J., Jitrakorn, S., Sirithammajak, S., Kampeera, J., Turner, W.A., Saksmerprome, V., Withyachumnarnkul, B. and Kiatpathomchai, W. (2016). Detection of natural infection of infectious spleen and kidney necrosis virus in farmed tilapia by hydroxynapthol blue‐loop‐mediated isothermal amplification assay. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 121(1), pp. 55-67.
- Somchai, P., Jitrakorn, S., Thitamadee, S., Meetam, M. and Saksmerprome, V. (2016). Use of microalgae Chlamydomonas reinhardtii for production of double-stranded RNA against shrimp virus. Aquaculture Reports, Vol. 3, pp. 178-183.
- Jitrakorn, S., Arunrut, N., Sanguanrut, P., Flegel, T.W., Kiatpathomchai, W. and Saksmerprome, V. (2016). In situ DIG-labeling, loop-mediated DNA amplification (ISDL) for highly sensitive detection of infectious hypodermal and hematopoietic necrosis virus (IHHNV). Aquaculture, Vol. 456, pp. 36-43.
- Pradeep, P.J., Suebsing, R., Sirthammajak, S., Kampeera, J., Jitrakorn, S., Saksmerprome, V., Turner, W., Palang, I., Vanichviriyakit, R., Senapin, S. and Jeffs, A. (2016). Evidence of vertical transmission and tissue tropism of Streptococcosis from naturally infected red tilapia (Oreochromis spp.). Aquaculture Reports, Vol. 3, pp. 58-66.
- Thammasorn, T., Sangsuriya, P., Meemetta, W., Senapin, S., Jitrakorn, S., Rattanarojpong, T. and Saksmerprome, V. (2015). Large-scale production and antiviral efficacy of multi-target double-stranded RNA for the prevention of white spot syndrome virus (WSSV) in shrimp. BMC Biotechnology, 15(1), Vol. p. 110.
- Suebsing, R., Kampeera, J., Sirithammajak, S., Pradeep, P.J., Jitrakorn, S., Arunrut, N., Sangsuriya, P., Saksmerprome, V., Senapin, S., Withyachumnarnkul, B. and Kiatpathomchai, W. (2015). Shewanella putrefaciens in cultured tilapia detected by a new calcein-loop-mediated isothermal amplification (Ca-LAMP) method. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms, Vol. 117(2), pp. 133-143.
- Dong, H.T., Nguyen, V.V., Le, H.D., Sangsuriya, P., Jitrakorn, S., Saksmerprome, V., Senapin, S. and Rodkhum, C. (2015). Naturally concurrent infections of bacterial and viral pathogens in disease outbreaks in cultured Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) farms. Aquaculture, Vol. 448, pp. 427-435.
- Dhar, A.K., Robles-Sikisaka, R., Saksmerprome, V. and Lakshman, D.K. (2014). Biology, genome organization, and evolution of parvoviruses in marine shrimp. In Advances in Virus Research (Vol. 89, pp. 85-139). Academic Press.