My research interests include the development of hatchery technology for induced breeding and seed production of brackishwater finfish species such as seabass, milkfish, pearlspot, brey mullet, cobia and ornamentals such as spotted scat and silver moony. Live feed production and its application for fish larviculture is also my interest. I have 25 years of experience in fish breeding, seed production, nursery rearing and grow out culture. Presently, I am working to popularise farming technologies for seabass, milkfish and pearlspot in brackishwater ponds and cages. I am keen to establish satellite fish seed rearing centres in different states to supply the seed locally with the participation of farmers and state government officials. I provide hands on training programmes in brackishwater fish seed production and culture.
- Demonstration of Asian seabass Lates calcarifer farming in pond culture system.
- Evaluation of reproductive biology, breeding, larval biology and seed production of candidate finfish species for brackishwater aquaculture development.
- Development and refinement of finfish culture technologies for sustainable brackishwater aquaculture development.
- Brackishwater cage culture with multi-trophic candidate species in diverse rearing systems for alternate livelihoods and societal development in Maharashtra.
- M. Mathavi, M. Kailasam and Mohanlal. (2011). Ultrastructure of spermatozoa of the spotted scat (Scatophagus argus, Linnaeus, 1766) observed by scanning and transmission electron microscopy. Animal Reproduction Science. Vol. 153, pp. 69-75.
- Muniyandi Kailasam, Gen Kaneko, Aung Kyaw swar Oo Yori Ozaki, Arunachalam Rengasamy Thirunanavukarasu and Shugo Watabe. (2011). Effects of calorie restriction on the expression of manganese superoxide dismutase and catalase under oxidative stress conditions in the rotifer Brachionus plicatilis. Fisheries Science, Vol. 77, pp. 403-409
- M. Kailasam Thirunavukkarasu A.R., Selvaraj, S. and P. Stalin. (2007). Effect of delayed initial feeding on growth and survival of Asian seabass Lates calcarifer (Bloch). Aquaculture, Vol. 271, pp. 298-306.
- M. Kailasam, A.R.T. Arasu, Mathew Abraham, Munawar Sultana, P. Shiranee, M. Balakrishnan, G. Thiagarajan, K. Karaiyan and R. Subburaj. Induced sex reversal and breeding of greasy grouper Epinephelus tauvina (Forskal). Indian Journal of Fisheries, Vol. 54 (1), pp. 27-36.
- M. Kailasam, A.R. Thirunavukkarasu, J.K. Sundaray, Mathew Abraham, R. Subburaj, G. Thiagarajan and K. Karaiyan. (2006). Evaluation of different feeds for nursery rearing of Asian sea bass Lates calcarifer (Bloch). Indian Journal of Fisheries, Vol. 53(2), pp. 185-190.
- Prem Kumar, Gouranga Biswas, Tapas Kumar Ghoshal, Muniyandi Kailasam, Koyadan Kizhakedath Vijayan. (2018). Embryonic and larval developments of brackish water catfish, Mystus gulio (Hamilton and Buchanan, 1822) induced with human chorionic gonadotropin and consequent larval rearing. Aquaculture Research, Vol. 49(7), pp. 2466-2476.
- Biswas G., Sundaray J.K, Bhattacharyya, Panantharayil Shyne Anand S.B, Ghoshal T.K, Debasis De, Prem Kumar, Sukumaran K., Bera, Babita Mandal, and M. Kailasam. (2017). Influence of feeding, periphyton and compost application on the performances of striped grey mullet (Mugil cephalus L.) fingerlings in fertilized brackishwater ponds. Aquaculture, Vol. 481, pp. 64-71.
- Prem Kumar, T. Rajeshwaran, P. Priya, M. Kailasam, G. Biswas, T. K. Ghoshal, K.K. Vijayan, A. R. T. Arasu (2017). Comparative Immunological and Biochemical Properties of the Epidermal Mucus from Three Brackishwater Fishes. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., India, Sect. B Biol. Sci., Vol. 89, pp. 95-103.
- Prem Kumar, M. Kailasam, S.N. Sethi, K. Sukumaran, G. Biswas, R. Subburaj, G. Thiagarajan, T.K. Ghoshal and K.K. Vijayan. (2017). Effect of dietary L-tryptophan on cannibalism, growth and survival of Asian seabass, Lates calcarifer (Bloch, 1790) fry. Indian J. Fish, Vol. 64(2), pp. 28-32.
- Prem Kumar, M. Kailasam, P. Mahalakshmi, R.V. Borichangar, G.J. Vanza and C. Gopal. (2016). Length-weight relationship, condition factor and cannibalism in Asian seabass Lates calcarifer (Bloch, 1790) reared in nursery. Indian J. Fish, 63(3), pp. 131-134.
- Biswas G., Sundaray J.K., Bhattacharyya S.B., Kailasam M., Prem Kumar, Krishna Sukumaran and Ghoshal T.K. (2016). Evaluation of Growth Performance and Survival of Wild Collected Spotted Scat, Scatophagus argus (Linnaeus, 1766) During Rearing of Fry to Marketable Size Juveniles for Aquarium Trade at Varied Stocking Densities. J. Indian Soc. Coastal agric. Res, Vol. 34(1), pp. 120-126.
- Prem Kumar, V. Saranya, M. Natarajan, M. Kailasam and G. Biswas. (2015). Ultrastructure of grey mullet (Mugil cephalus, Linnaeus, 1758) spermatozoa as revealed from light, scanning and transmission electron microscopy. J. Appl. Ichthyol, Vol. 31(6), pp. 1113-1119.
- Prem Kumar, A.R.T. Arasu, M. Kailasam, Krishna Sukumarran, R. Subburj, G. Tyagraj& M. Natarajan (2015). Gonadal development and steroid hormone profile of wild caught grey mullet (Mugil cephalus). Biological Rhythm Research.
- Prem Kumar, A.R. Thirunavukkarasu, M. Kailasam, J.K. Sundaray, G. Biswas, R. Subburaj, G. Thiagarajan and S. Elangeswaran. (2014). Captive maturation of the silver moony fish Monodactylus argenteus (Linnaeus, 1758) under laboratory conditions. Indian Journal of Fisheries, Vol. 61(1), pp. 113-117.
- Prem Kumar, Shailesh Saurabh , A.K. Pal, N.P. Sahu , A.R.T. Arasu (2014). Stress mitigating and growth enhancing effect of dietary tryptophan in rohu (Labeo rohita, Hamilton, 1822) fingerlings. Fish Physiol Biochem., Vol. 45, pp. 1325-1328.
- Gouranga Biswas, Tapas K. Ghoshal, Maruthamuthu Natarajan, Arunachalam R. Thirunavukkarasu, Jitendra K. Sundaray, Muniyandi Kailasam, Debasis De, Krishna Sukumaran, Prem Kumar and Alphis G. Ponniah (2012). Effects of stocking density and presence or absence of soil base on growth, weight variation, survival and body composition of pearlspot, Etroplus suratensis (Bloch) fingerlings. Aquaculture Research, Vol. 44, pp. 1266–1276.
- G. Biswas, Debasis De, A.R. Thirunavukkarasu, M. Natarajan, J.K. Sundaray, M. Kailasam, Prem Kumar, T.K. Ghoshal, A.G. Ponniah, A. Sarkar (2012). Effects of stocking density, feeding, fertilization and combined fertilization-feeding on the performances of striped grey mullet (Mugil cephalus L.) fingerlings in brackishwater pond rearing systems. Aquaculture, Vol. 384-341, pp. 284-292.
- Prem Kumar, A.R.T. Arasu, M. Natarajan, M. Kailasam, J.K. Sundaray, R. Subburaj, G. Thiagarajan and S. Elangeswaran. (2012). Secondary stress responses in Grey Mullet (Mugil cephalus, Linnaeus) fry to increasing packing densities. The Israeli Journal of Aquaculture – Bamidgeh, Vol. 64, p. 6.