Dr Krishna Sukumaran, Scientist
ICAR-Central Institute of Brackishwater Aquaculture
Skills: Hatchery and nursery, Marine finfish
My research interests include the captive breeding and larval rearing of brackishwater finfish species. I have ten years’ research experience in brackishwater finfish broodstock management, captive maturation, reproduction and larval rearing. I have been associated with captive seed production and aquaculture projects of our institute relating to economically important brackishwater finfish species such as pearlspot, grey mullet, Asian seabass and milkfish.
- Evaluation of reproductive biology, breeding, larval biology and seed production of candidate finfish species for brackishwater aquaculture development.
- Application of improved techniques for captive maturation, assessment of reproductive biology, system development for induced breeding, larval rearing and seed production of brackishwater candidate finfish species (ongoing).
- Development and refinement of finfish culture technologies for sustainable brackishwater aquaculture development.
- Development and evaluation of novel culture technologies for candidate brackishwater finfishes for sustainable aquaculture (ongoing).
- Sukumaran, K., Kailasam, M., Vasagam, K., Subburaj, R., Thiagarajan, G. and Vijayan, K.K., (2017). Enhancement of breeding frequency and reproductive performance of pearlspot Etroplus suratensis by curtailing parental care. Aquaculture, Vol. 479, pp. 352-356.
- Sukumaran, K., Thirunavukkarasu, A.R., Kailasam, M., Sundaray, J.K., Subburaj, R. and Thiagrajan, G. (2011). Effect of stocking density on size heterogeneity and sibling cannibalism in Asian seabass Lates calcarifer (Bloch, 1790) larvae. Indian J. Fish., Vol. 58(3), pp. 145-147.
- Sukumaran, K., Thirunavukkarasu, A.R., Kailasam, M., Sundaray, J.K., Biswas, G., Kumar, P., Subburaj, R., Thiagrajan, G. and Venu, S., (2017). Evaluation of Bamboo, Coconut Shell Substrates and Supplemental Feeding on the Growth of Pearlspot, Etroplus suratensis (Bloch) Fry in Low Volume Cages. Fishery Technology, Vol. 54(1), pp. 1-7.
- Sukumaran, K., Thirunavukkarasu, A.R., Kailasam, M., Kumar, P., Subburaj, R. and Thiagarajan, G. (2014). Pre-growout culture of Asian seabass Lates calcarifer (Bloch) in low volume cage in brackishwater Ashtamudi lake under participatory mode with traditional fisherman. Journal of Aquatic Biology and Fisheries, Vol. 2, pp. 272-276.
- Sukumaran, K., Pal, A.K., Sahu, N.P., Debnath, D. and Patro, B. (2009). Phosphorus requirement of Catla (Catla catla Hamilton) fingerlings based on growth, whole‐body phosphorus concentration and non‐faecal phosphorus excretion. Aquaculture research, Vol. 40(2), pp. 139-147.
- Sukumaran, K., Pal, A.K., Sahu, N.P., Dalvi, R.S. and Debnath, D. (2008). Haemato-biochemical responses and induction of HSP70 to dietary phosphorus in Catla catla (Hamilton) fingerlings. Fish Physiology and Biochemistry, Vol. 34(4), pp. 299-306.
- Sukumaran, K., Pal, A.K., Sahu, N.P., Jahageerdar, S., Khambadakone, D. and Debnath, D. (2011). Influence of dietary phosphorus on mineralization and morphology of Indian major carp, catla (Catla catla) fingerlings. Aquaculture International, Vol. 19(4), pp. 749-763.
- Krishna Sukumaran, A.R.T. Arasu, N.S. David, K.J. Prassanna Kumar, Pramod Kiran R.B. A story of successful pearlspot farming in small ponds in Kollam, Kerala. Fishing chimes, Vol. 31(10), pp. 40-42.
- D. Debnath, A.K. Pal, N.P. Sahu, S. Yengkokpam, K. Sukumaran, K.K. Jain and K. Baruah. (2012). Digestive and metabolic responses towards diet optimization in Labeo rohita. Journal of the Inland Fisheries Society of India, Vol. 44(1), pp. 1-19.
- Biswas, G., Ghoshal, T.K., Natarajan, M., Thirunavukkarasu, A.R., Sundaray, J.K., Kailasam, M., De, D., Sukumaran, K., Kumar, P. and Ponniah, A.G. (2013). Effects of stocking density and presence or absence of soil base on growth, weight variation, survival and body composition of pearlspot, Etroplus suratensis (Bloch) fingerlings. Aquaculture Research, Vol. 44(8), pp. 1266-1276.
- Biswas, G., Sundaray, J.K., Bhattacharyya, S.B., Anand, P.S., Ghoshal, T.K., De, D., Kumar, P., Sukumaran, K., Bera, A., Mandal, B. and Kailasam, M. (2017). Influence of feeding, periphyton and compost application on the performances of striped grey mullet (Mugil cephalus L.) fingerlings in fertilized brackishwater ponds. Aquaculture, Vol. 481, pp. 64-71.
- Kumar, P., Kailasam, M., Sethi, S.N., Sukumaran, K., Biswas, G., Subburaj, R., Thiagarajan, G., Ghoshal, T.K. and Vijayan, K.K. (2017). Effect of dietary L-tryptophan on cannibalism, growth and survival of Asian seabass, Lates calcarifer (Bloch, 1790) fry. Indian Journal of Fisheries, Vol. 64(2), pp. 28-32
- Kumar, P., Arasu, A.R.T., Kailasam, M., Sukumaran, K., Subburj, R., Tyagraj, G. and Natarajan, M. (2015). Gonadal development and steroid hormone profile of wild caught grey mullet (Mugil cephalus). Biological Rhythm Research, Vol. 46(4), pp. 601-610.
- Biswas, G., Sundaray, J.K., Bhattacharyya, S.B., Kailasam, M., Kumar, P., Sukumaran, K. and Ghoshal, T.K. (2016). Evaluation of Growth Performance and Survival of Wild Collected Spotted Scat,(Linnaeus, 1766) during Rearing of Fry to Marketable Size Juveniles for Aquarium Trade at Varied Stocking Densities. J. Indian Soc. Coastal Agric. Res, Vol. 34(1), pp. 120-126.
- Baiju, A., David, N.S., Shyam, S.S., Sukumaran, K. and Pramod Kiran, R.B. (2012). Effects and consequences of small-scale cage culture technology adoption in Kerala. In: National Seminar on Faunal Diversity of Kerala, 23-24 March, 2012, PRNSS College, Kannur.
ICAR-Central Institute of Brackishwater Aquaculture
75 Santhome High Road, R.A. Puram
Mobile: +91 80 56137483
Fax: +91 44 24610311