Dr Prem Kumar, Research Scientist
ICAR-Central Institute of Brackishwater Aquaculture
My research interests include the reproductive biology, endocrinology and captive breeding of brackishwater fish. I have nine years research experience in brackishwater breeding of brackishwater fishes in captivity and their farming in different costal states of India, with hands-on experience in fish hatchery design and operation. I have demonstrated the hatchery operation and farming of different brackishwater fishes such as Asian seabass, milkfish, pearl spot and brackishwater catfish to small and marginal farmers. I am experienced in the establishment and operation of recirculating aquaculture systems for broodstock development and farming of fish and shrimp. I also have experience in the farming of crab and shrimp in box and pond systems, respectively.
- Evaluation of the reproductive biology, breeding, larval biology and seed production of candidate finfish species for brackishwater aquaculture development (captive breeding and seed production of hilsa and yellow fin bream).
- Elucidation of the molecular mechanism of dopamine action on final oocyte maturation of goldspot mullet (Liza parsia).
- Development of economically viable and sustainable brackishwater aquaculture practices with special reference to the Sundarban mangrove biosphere (establishment and demonstration of Mystus gulio and Eutroplus suratensis modular hatchery technology).
- Development and refinement of finfish culture technologies for sustainable brackishwater aquaculture development (demonstration of cage and pen culture of Lates calcarifer).
- Prem Kumar, Gouranga Biswas, Tapas Kumar Ghoshal, Muniyandi Kailasam Koyadan Kizhakedath Vijayan. (2018). Embryonic and larval developments of brackish water catfish, Mystus gulio (Hamilton and Buchanan, 1822) induced with human chorionic gonadotropin and consequent larval rearing. Aquaculture Research, Vol. 49(7), pp. 2466-2476.
- Prem Kumar, A.K. Pal, N.P. Sahu, Ashish Kumar Jha, Neeraj Kumar, L. Christina, Priyadarshni Priya. (2018). Dietary L-Tryptophan potentiates non-specific immunity in Labeo rohita fingerlings reared under elevated temperature. Journal of Thermal Biology, Vol. 74, pp 55–62.
- Biswas G., Sundaray J.K., Bhattacharyya, Panantharayil Shyne Anand S.B, Ghoshal T.K., Debasis De, Prem Kumar, Sukumaran K., Bera, Babita Mandal, and M. Kailasam (2017). Influence of feeding, periphyton and compost application on the performances of striped grey mullet (Mugil cephalus L.) fingerlings in fertilized brackishwater ponds. Aquaculture, Vol. 481, pp. 64-71.
- Prem Kumar, T. Rajeshwaran, P. Priya, M. Kailasam, G. Biswas, T.K. Ghoshal, K.K. Vijayan, A.R.T. Arasu (2017). Comparative Immunological and Biochemical Properties of the Epidermal Mucus from Three Brackishwater Fishes. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., India, Sect. B Biol. Sci., Vol. 89(1), pp. 95-103.
- Prem Kumar, M. Kailasam, S.N. Sethi, K. Sukumaran, G. Biswas, R. Subburaj, G. Thiagarajan, T.K. Ghoshal and K.K. Vijayan. (2017). Effect of dietary L-tryptophan on cannibalism, growth and survival of Asian seabass, Lates calcarifer (Bloch, 1790) fry. Indian J. Fish, Vol. 64(2), pp. 28-32.
- Prem Kumar, M. Kailasam, P. Mahalakshmi, R.V. Borichangar, G.J. Vanza and C. Gopal. (2016). Length-weight relationship, condition factor and cannibalism in Asian seabass Lates calcarifer (Bloch, 1790) reared in nursery. Indian J. Fish, Vol. 63(3), pp. 131-134.
- Neeraj Kumar, K. Ambasankar, K.K. Krishnani, Prem Kumar, M.S. Akhtar, Shashi Bhushan, P.S. Minhas. (2016). Dietary pyridoxine potentiates thermal tolerance, heat shock protein and protect against cellular stress of milkfish (Chanos chanos) under endosulfan-induced stress. Fish & Shellfish Immunology, Vol. 55, pp. 407-414.
- Biswas G., Sundaray J.K., Bhattacharyya S.B., Kailasam M., Prem Kumar, Krishna Sukumaran and Ghoshal T.K. (2016). Evaluation of Growth Performance and Survival of Wild Collected Spotted Scat, Scatophagus argus (Linnaeus, 1766) During Rearing of Fry to Marketable Size Juveniles for Aquarium Trade at Varied Stocking Densities. J. Indian Soc. Coastal Agric. Res, Vol. 34(1), pp. 120-126.
- Prem Kumar, V. Saranya, M. Natarajan, M. Kailasam and G. Biswas. (2015). Ultrastructure of grey mullet (Mugil cephalus, Linnaeus, 1758) spermatozoa as revealed from light, scanning and transmission electron microscopy. J. Appl. Ichthyol, Vol. 31(6), pp. 1113-1119.
- Prem Kumar, A.R.T. Arasu, M. Kailasam, Krishna Sukumarran, R. Subburj, G. Tyagraj and M. Natarajan (2015). Gonadal development and steroid hormone profile of wild caught grey mullet (Mugil cephalus). Biological Rhythm Research, Vol. 46(4), pp. 601-610.
- Prem Kumar, A.R. Thirunavukkarasu, M. Kailasam, J.K. Sundaray, G. Biswas, R. Subburaj, G. Thiagarajan and S. Elangeswaran. (2014). Captive maturation of the silver moony fish Monodactylus argenteus (Linnaeus, 1758) under laboratory conditions. Indian Journal of Fisheries, Vol. 61(1), pp. 113-117.
- Prem Kumar, Shailesh Saurabh, A.K. Pal, N.P. Sahu, A.R.T. Arasu. (2014). Stress mitigating and growth enhancing effect of dietary tryptophan in rohu (Labeo rohita, Hamilton, 1822) fingerlings. Fish Physiol Biochem, Vol. 40(5), pp 1325-1338.
- Gouranga Biswas, Tapas K. Ghoshal, Maruthamuthu Natarajan, Arunachalam R. Thirunavukkarasu, Jitendra K. Sundaray, Muniyandi Kailasam, Debasis De, Krishna Sukumaran, Prem Kumar and Alphis G. Ponniah (2012). Effects of stocking density and presence or absence of soil base on growth, weight variation, survival and body composition of pearlspot, Etroplus suratensis (Bloch) fingerlings. Aquaculture Research, Vol. 44, pp. 1266–1276.
- G. Biswas, Debasis De, A.R. Thirunavukkarasu, M. Natarajan, J.K. Sundaray, M. Kailasam, Prem Kumar, T.K. Ghoshal, A.G. Ponniah, A. Sarkar. (2012). Effects of stocking density, feeding, fertilization and combined fertilization-feeding on the performances of striped grey mullet (Mugil cephalus L.) fingerlings in brackishwater pond rearing systems. Aquaculture, Vol. 384-341, pp. 284-292.
- Prem Kumar, A.R.T. Arasu, M. Natarajan, M. Kailasam, J.K. Sundaray, R. Subburaj, G. Thiagarajan and S. Elangeswaran. (2012). Secondary stress responses in grey mullet (Mugil cephalus, Linnaeus) fry to increasing packing densities. The Israeli Journal of Aquaculture – Bamidgeh, Vol. 840(5), pp. 6.
- Kailasam. M, Krishna Sukumaran, Prem Kumar, R. Subburaj, G. Thiagarajan and K. Karaiyan. (2015). Manual on seabass (Lates calcarifer) seed production and farming.
- Prem Kumar. (2014). English-Hindi glossary on fisheries science and aquaculture (CIBA Special Publication No. 72).
- Prem Kumar, M. Kailasam, J.K. Sundaray, A.R.T. Arasu and Krishna Sukumaran. (2013). Compendium on Asian Seabass - Contribution from CIBA and Bibliography.
- S.M. Pillay, Asutosh D. Dev, Sujeet Kumar, J.K. Sundarray, Prem Kumar. (2012). Abstract book on Traditional Aqua Farming system: Prospect and Challenges. National Hindi Seminar KRC, CIBA.
- Krishnani K.K and Prem Kumar. (2011). Recent Advances in Aquaculture. CIBA Special Publication No. 56. (Hindi).
- T.K. Ghoshal, M. Natarajan, M. Kailasam, D. De, Prem Kumar, G. Biswas. (2018). Growth, survival and condition status of milkfish (Chanos chanos, Forsskal, 1775) in feeding and periphyton supported brackishwater pond rearing. In: B.K. Mahapatra, A.K. Roy and Nemi Chandra Pramanik (eds). Sustainable management of aquatic resources. Narendra publishing house, Delhi, India. pp 29-41.
- Prem Kumar, M. Kailasam, R. Subburaj, G. Thiagarajan, S. Elangeswaran, G. Biswas, L. Christina and T.K. Ghoshal. (2018). Mass culture of a marine copepod, Oithona brevicornis using different agro by-products. In: B.K. Mahapatra, A.K. Roy and Nemi Chandra Pramanik. Sustainable management of aquatic resources. Narendra publishing house, Delhi, India. pp 73-80.
- T.K. Ghoshal, D. De, G. Biswas, Prem Kumar, L. Christina, S. Das, and K.K. Vijayan. (2016). Development and dissemination of low-cost farm-made formulated feed for improved production efficiency in brackishwater Polyculture. In: Sustainable intensification of aquaculture in the Asia-Pacific region. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. 62-70 pp.
- Thirunavukkarasu A.R., Kailasam M., Sundaray J.K., Biswas G., Prem Kumar, Subburaj R., Thiagarajan G. (2015). Controlled Breeding, Seed Production and Culture of Brackishwater Fishes, In: Santhanam Perumal, Thirunavukkarasu A.R and Perumal Pachiappan (eds.). Advances in marine and brackishwater aquaculture. Springer, New Delhi Heidelberg New York Dordrecht London, pp. 75-86.
- Prem Kumar, Thirunavukkarasu A.R., Subburaj R., and Thiagarajan G. (2015). Concept of Stress and Its Mitigation in Aquaculture, In: Santhanam Perumal, Thirunavukkarasu A.R and Perumal Pachiappan (eds.). Advances in marine and brackishwater aquaculture. Springer New Delhi Heidelberg New York Dordrecht London, pp. 95-101.
- Prem Kumar and P. Priya. (2014). Types and mode of action of different endocrine disrupting chemicals in fish. Discovery Publishing House New Delhi, India. pp. 39-50.
- Prem Kumar. (2014). Stress and stress responses in teleost. Frontier in Aquaculture. Narendra Publishing House, pp. 331-334.
- Prem Kumar, A.R.T. Arasu. (2012). Role of brackishwater fish in sustainable aquaculture. Jaldhi 2012. (Hindi publication from CIFT) (Hindi)
- Prem Kumar, A.R.T. Arasu, M. Kailasam. (2012). Status of ornamental fish with special reference to brackishwater. Jalchari 2012 (CIFE Hindi publication).
- Prem Kumar. (2015). Role of brackishwater fish in sustainable aquaculture. Jaldhi 2012. (Hindi publication from CIBA).
Kakdwip Research Centre of ICAR-CIBA
South 24 Parganas 743347
Mobile: +91 7063564479
Fax: +91 3210257030