Dr Rajeev Kumar Singh, Principal Scientist
Fish Conservation Division, National Bureau of Fish Genetic Resources (ICAR)
Skills: Genetics and biodiversity
My interests lie in the development of novel genomic resources, quantifying genetic diversity of commercially and conservation important fishes and taxonomic resolution. I work on the development of mitochondrial and microsatellite and protein markers, with molecular tools for seventeen fish species developed to date. I have sequenced, annotated and mapped the mitochondrial genomes of nine fish species for evolutionary and comparative genomics. I am also interested in stock characterisation of prioritised fish species, with twelve characterised to date using nuclear and mitochondrial markers. The information has application in documenting the status of aquatic genetic resources on India for the FAO global status report.
- Outreach activity on fish genetic stocks, Phase II (2014-2019). See Singh et al. (2018) and Dutta et al., 2018, Molecular Biology Reports (accepted).
- Outreach activity on fish genetic stocks (2008-2014). See Mandal et al., (2014), Masih et al. (2014), Luhariya et al. (2014) and Mandal et al. (2012).
- Development of novel microsatellites in Channa species (Channidae: Perciformes) from North East for conservation genetics (DBT sponsored).(2012-2016).
- Establishment of Mapping and Marker Panel for First Generation Linkage Map in Indian Catfish, Clarias magur (2014-18).
- Stock characterization, captive breeding, seed production and culture of hilsa (Tenualosa ilisha) (NFBSFARA) (2012-17).
- ICAR-CRP Genomics-De novo genome sequencing of anadromous Indian Shad, Tenualosa ilisha (Hamilton 1822) (2015-20)
- Deciphering Aphanomyces invadans genome to understand its mechanism of infection in fishes (2015-18)
- Harmonizing Biodiversity Conservation and Agricultural Intensification through Integration of Plant, Animal and Fish Genetic resources for Livelihood Security in Fragile Ecosystem (NAIP-GEF) (2010-2014). See Dwivedi et al. (2017), Gupta et al. (2016) and Lal et al. (2016).
Post Doctoral Projects (Supervised)
- Phylogeography and genetic stock structure of olive barb, Puntius sarana sarana (Hamilton, 1822) population using mitochondrial and nuclear DNA markers (sponsored by Department of Science & Technology, India) (2014-2016). See Biswal et al. (2018) and Biswal et al. (2017).
- Assessment of genetic introgression and variation in hatchery bred Indian major carps (Sponsored by University Grants Commission, India).
- Singh, R.K., Dutta, N., Pathak, A., Mohindra, V., Kaur, G., Kumar, R., R.S. Sah, Jena, J.K.and Kuldeep K. Lal (2018). The complete mitochondrial genome of Indian featherback Chitala chitala (Osteoglossiformes) and phylogenetic status. Conservation Genetic Resources.
- Biswal, J.R, Singh, R.K., Dutta, N., Pathak, A., Lal, K.K., Mohindra, V., Sah, R.S. and Jena, J.K. (2017). The complete mitochondrial genome of Olive barb, Systomus sarana sarana (Hamilton, 1822) and its phylogenetic status. Mitochondrial DNA Part B: Resources, 2: 940–942.
- Mohindra, V., Singh, R.K., Tripathi, R.K., Lal, K.K. and Jena, J.K. (2016). Complete mitogenome of Indian mottled eel, Anguilla bengalensis (Gray, 1831) through PacBio RSII sequencing. Mitochondrial DNA: The Journal of DNA Mapping, Sequencing, and Analysis.
Development of Molecular Markers
- Dutta, N., Singh, R.K., Mohindra, V., Pathak, A., Kumar, R., Sah, P., Mandal, S., Kaur, G. and Lal, K.K. (2018). Microsatellite marker set for genetic diversity assessment of primitive Chitala chitala (Hamilton1822) derived through SMRT sequencing technology. Molecular Biology Reports (Accepted).
- Masih, P., Luhariya R.K., Das R., Gupta A., Mohindra, V., Singh, R.K., Srivastava R., Chauhan U.K., Jena, J.K and Lal, K.K. (2014). Cross-priming of microsatellite loci in subfamily cyprininae (family Cyprinidae): their utility in finding markers for population genetic analysis in three Indian major carps. Molecular Biology Reports, 41(8) 5187-5197.
- Mohindra, V., Singh, A, Patangia, R., Tripathi, R., Singh, R.K., Sah, R. and Lal, K.K. (2012). Characterization of 27 novel gene-associated SSR markers in Indian catfish, Clarias batrachus (Linnaeus, 1758) and their application in genetic diversity analysis. Molecular Ecology Resources, 12 (6), 1196-1197.
Genetic diversity assessment
- Mandal S., J. K. Jena, Singh, R.K., Mohindra, V., W.S. Lakra, Geetanjali Deshmukhe, Rajesh Kumar, and Lal, K.K. (2016). Genetic characterization of Silond catfish, Silonia silondia (Hamilton, 1822) inferred from two mitochondrial markers. Mitochondrial DNA, 27, (2) 1075-1079.
- A. Gupta, Lal, K.K., P Punia, Singh, R.K., Mohindra, V., R.S. Sah, R. Kumar et al., (2013). Characterization of polymorphic microsatellite markers and genetic diversity in wild bronze featherback, Notopterus notopterus. Molecular Biology Reports, 40 (12), 6625-6631.
- Luhariya R.K., Lal, K.K., Singh, R.K., Mohindra, V., Punia, P., Chauhan U.K., Gupta, A. and Lakra, W.S. (2012). Genetic divergence in wild population of Labeo rohita (Hamilton, 1822) from nine Indian rivers, analyzed through MtDNA cytochrome b region. Molecular Biology Reports, 39 (4), 3659-3665.
- Mandal, A., Mohindra, V., Singh, R.K., Punia, P., Singh, A.K. and Lal, K.K. (2012). Mitochondrial DNA variation in natural populations of endangered Indian feather-back fish, Chitala chitala. Molecular Biology Reports, 39 (2), 1765-1775.
- Singh, R.K., Lal, K.K., Mohindra, V., Punia, P., Sah, R.S., Mishra, A.K., Kumar, R., Mishra, B.N. and Lakra, W.S. (2010). Assessing Genetic Differentiation in Geographic Populations of Labeo calbasu Using Allozyme Markers. Biochemical Genetics, 48 (9), 760-778.
New species, distribution or taxonomic resolution
- Biswal, J.R. Singh, R.K., Lal, K.K., Mohindra, V., Kumar, R. Kumar, R.G., Basheer, V.S. Jena, J.K. (2018). Molecular and morphological evidences resolve taxonomic ambiguity between Systomus sarana sarana (Hamilton, 1822) and S. sarana subnasutus (Valenciennes) and suggest elevating them into distinct species. Mitochondrial DNA Part B: Resources.
- Dwivedi, A.K., Gupta, B.K., Singh, R.K., Mohindra, V., Chandra, S., Easawarn, S., Jena, J.K. and Lal, K.K. (2017). Cryptic diversity in the Indian clade of the catfish family Pangasiidae resolved by the description of a new species. Hydrobiologia (2017) 797: 351–370.
- Lal, K.K., Dwivedi, A.K., Singh, R.K., Mohindra, V., Chandra, S., Gupta, B.K., Dhawan, S. and Jena, J.K. (2016). A new Bagrid catfish species, Rita bakalu (Siluriformes: Bagridae), from the Godavari River basin, India. Hydrobiologia.
- Lal, K.K., Singh, R.K., Pandey, A., Gupta, B.K., Mohindra, V., Punia, P., Dhawan, S. et al., (2013). Distributional records of Tor mahseer Tor tor (Hamilton, 1822) from Southern India. Journal of Applied Ichthyology 29 (5), 1086-1090.
Fish Conservation Division
National Bureau of Fish Genetic Resources
Canal Ring Road
Mobile: +91 522 2441735
Fax: +91 522 2442403
External profile URL