Dr J.K. Jithendran, Principal Scientist
ICAR-Central Institute of Brackishwater Aquaculture
My current research interests include fish and shellfish health management particularly in brackishwater ecosystems. I have lead research programmes on disease control in finfish and mud crabs; surveillance and management of fish and shellfish disease in aquaculture; and development of molecular diagnostics and genomic characterisation of betanodavirus causing viral nervous necrosis in marine fish aquaculture in India. I have played a lead role in coordination of a regional proficiency testing programme for six aquatic animal disease laboratories in India in collaboration with NACA and CSIRO (Australia); and in developing diagnostic capability for exotic diseases in fish and shrimp. I am currently engaged in surveillance of disease, particularly of emerging issues in brackishwater aquaculture such as Enterocytozoon hepatopenaei in shrimp. I have interests in genomics, molecular characterisation and host-parasite interaction of shrimp microsporidians with special reference to E. hepatopenaei.
- Invertebrate and finfish diseases in brackishwater aquaculture and development of prophylactic and therapeutic strategies - Institute project.
National Surveillance Programme for Aquatic animal Diseases funded project.
- Consortia Platform on diagnostics and vaccines.
- Evaluation of reproductive biology, breeding, larval biology and seed production of candidate finfish species for brackishwater aquaculture development.
- Defense genes of tiger shrimp (Penaeus monodon) with respect to bacteria (Vibrio harveyi) and white spot virus infection.
- Aquatic animal diseases and intervention tools for their management.
- Diseases of finfish and shellfish in brackishwater aquaculture: Diagnostics, prophylaxis and therapeutics
- Scaling up of production system of mud crabs.
- Investigations on epidemiology of infectious diseases of fish and shellfish and development of diagnostics and prophylactics.
- Characterisation and development of diagnostics for viral nervous necrosis in seabass (Lates calcarifer) and mullet (Mugil cephalus).
Journal articles and periodicals
- Ezhil Praveena, P., Bhuvaneswari, T., Navaneeth Krishnan, A., Jagadeesan, V., Rajan, J.J.S. and Jithendran, K.P. (2018). An improved microscopic method for the rapid diagnosis of emerging microsporidian parasite, Enterocytozoon hepatopenaei in shrimp farms. Current Science, 115: 758-763.
- Sathish Kumar, T., Navaneeth Krishnan, A., Joseph Sahaya Rajan, J., Makesh, M., Jithendran, K.P. Alavandi, S. V. and Vijayan, K.K. (2018). Visual loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) for the rapid diagnosis of Enterocytozoon hepatopenaei (EHP) infection. Parasitology Research, 117: 1485–1493.
- Praveenraj, J., Ezhil Praveena, P., Bhuvaneswari, T., Navaneeth Krishnan, A. and Jithendran, K.P. (2018). Experimental infection of Betanodavirus in freshwater fish Gambusia affinis (Baird and Girard, 1853) - a potential infection model for viral encephalopathy and retinopathy. Aquacult. Int., 26: 617–627.
- Jagadeesan, V., Ezhil Praveena, P., Bhuvaneswari, T., Jithendran, K.P. and Otta, S.K. (2017). Screening of Penaeus vannamei Boone, 1931 collected from east coast of India for monodon baculovirus (MBV) and hepatopancreatic parvovirus (HPV). Indian Journal of Fisheries, 64: 236-238.
- Sujeet Kumar, P.S. Shyne Anand, D. De, A.D. Deo, T.K. Ghoshal, J.K. Sundaray, A.G. Ponniah, K.P. Jithendran, R. Ananda Raja, G. Biswas and N. Lalitha (2017). Effects of biofloc under different carbon sources and protein levels on water quality, growth performance and immune responses in black tiger shrimp Penaeus monodon (Fabricius, 1978). Aquaculture Research, 48, 1168–1182.
- Navaneeth Krishnan, A., Bhuvaneswari, T., Ezhil Praveena, P. and Jithendran, K.P. (2016). Paper-based archiving of biological samples from fish for detecting betanodavirus. Arch. Virol., 161: 2019-2024.
- Joseph Sahaya Rajan, J., Ezhil Praveena, P., Bhuvaneswari, T., and Jithendran, K.P. (2016). Design and evaluation of reverse transcription nested PCR primers for the detection of betanodavirus in finfish. Virus Disease, 27: 123-129.
- Sabu, A.S., Jithendran, K.P. and Gopal, C. (2016). Properties of phenoloxidase from haemocytes of Scylla tranquebarica. Journal of Applied Biology & Biotechnology, 4: 47-52.
- John, K.R., George, M.R. Jeyatha, B., Saravanakumar, R., Sundar, P., and Jithendran, K.P. and Koppang, E.O. (2014). Isolation and characterization of Indian betanodavirus strain from infected farm-reared Asian seabass Lates calcarifer (Bloch, 1790) juveniles. Aquaculture Research, 45, 1481-1488
- Binesh, C.P. and Jithendran, K.P. (2013). Genetic characterization of betanodavirus isolates from Asian seabass Lates calcarifer (Bloch) in India. Arch Virol., 158: 1543-1547.
- Binesh, C.P., Greeshma, C. and Jithendran, K.P. (2013). Genomic classification of betanodavirus by molecular phylogenetic analysis of the coat protein gene. Arch Virol., 158: 1589-1595.
- Joe K. Kizhakudan, P. Ezhil Praveena, B.A. Venmathi Maran, S.K. Otta, T. Bhuvaneswari, J. J. S. Rajan, S. Krishnamoorthi and K.P. Jithendran (2015). Investigation on the mortality of juveniles in captive stock of the Indian halibut Psettodes erumei. Indian Journal of Geomarine Sciences, (In press).
- Jithendran, K.P., M.S. Shekhar, S. Kannappan and I.S. Azad (2011). Nodavirus infection in freshwater ornamental fishes in India-diagnostic histopathology and nested RT-PCR. Asian Fisheries Science, 24: 12-19.
- Jithendran, K.P., Natarajan, M., Sahoo, P.K. and Thiagarajan, G. (2011). Squamous cell carcinoma in Grey mullet, Mugil cephalus L. (Perciformes: Mugilidae). Comparative Clinical Pathology. 20: 673-675.
- Jithendran K.P., Vijayan K. K., Kailasam M. (2011). Microsporidian (Glugea sp.) infection in Greasy grouper Epinephelus tauvina (Forsskal, 1775). Indian J. Fish., 58, 125-127.
- Jithendran, K.P. and Kannappan, S. (2010). A short note on heavy infection of acanthocephalan worm (Neoechinorhynchus agilis) in grey mullet, Mugil cephalus. J. Parasitic Dis., 34: 99-101.
- Jithendran, K.P., Poornima, M., Balasubramanian, C.P. and Kulaseharapandian, S. (2010). Diseases of mud crabs (Scylla spp.): an overview. Indian Journal of Fisheries, 57: 55-63.
- Jithendran, K.P., Natarajan, M. and Azad, I.S. (2008). Crustacean parasites and their management in brackshwater finfish culture. Aquaculture Asia, 13: 47-50 (July – September).
- Azad, I.S., Jithendran, K.P., Shekhar, M.S., Thirunavukkarasu, A.R., de la Pena, L.D. (2006). Immunolocalisation of nervous necrosis virus indicates vertical transmission in hatchery produced Asian seabass (Lates calcarifer) -A case study. Aquaculture, 255: 1-4.
- Azad, I.S., M.S. Shekhar, A.R. Thirunavukkarasu and K.P. Jithendran (2006). Viral Nerve Necrosis in the hatchery-produced fry of Asian sea bass Lates calcarifer: sequential microscopic analysis of histopathology. Dis. Aquat. Org., 73: 123-130.
- Shekhar, M.S., Azad, I.S. and Jithendran, K.P. (2006). RT-PCR and sequence analysis of Macrobrachium rosenbergii nodavirus: Indian isolate. Aquaculture, 252: 128-132.
- Jithendran, K.P., Vijayan, K.K., Alavandi, S.V. and Kailasam, M. (2005). Benedenia epinepheli (Yamaguti, 1937), a monogenean parasite in captive broodstock of grouper, Epinephelus tauvina (Forskal). Asian J. Fisheries, 18: 121-126.
- Jithendran, K.P., I.S. Azad and M. Natarajan (2005). Management of monogenean parasites in brackishwater finfish. Aquaculture Asia, 10: 38-41 (October –December).
Scientific/teaching reviews: e-publications
- Jithendran, K.P., Ezhil Praveena, P. and Bhuvaneswari, T. (2017). Viral Nervous Necrosis: A Challenge to Finfish Aquaculture. In: Basic and Clinical Virology: Student book, pp. 1-6.
- Jithendran, K.P., EzhilPraveena, P., Sathishkumar, T. and Vijayan K.K. (2016). Detection of EHP in shrimp using PCR. In: Molecular Diagnosis of Shrimp Diseases- A training manual, CIBA-TM Series. No. 4, pp. 66-71.
- Patil, P.K., Satheesha Avunje, Ananda Raja, R. and Jithendran K.P. (2016). PCR laboratory layout: equipments and reagents. In: Molecular Diagnosis of Shrimp Diseases- A training manual, CIBA-TM Series. No. 4, pp. 79-82.
- Jithendran, K.P., Bhuvaneswari, T., Satheesha Avunje and Patil, P.K. (2016). General laboratory biosafety. In: Molecular Diagnosis of Shrimp Diseases- A training manual, CIBA-TM Series. No. 4, pp. 86-90.
- Jithendran, K.P., EzhilPraveena, P., Sathishkumar, T. and Bhuvaneswari, T. (2016). Managing hepatopancreatic microsporidiosis, CIBA extension series No. 49. (in English and Tamil).
- Otta, S.K., T. Bhuvaneswari, P. Ezhil Praveena, P. K. Patil, M. Poornima, K. P. Jithendran and S. V. Alavandi (2016). No confirmed case of acute hepatopancreatic necrosis disease / Early mortality syndrome (AHPND/EMS) in India. CIBA e-Publication Series No.19– Revised, pp. 1-4.
- Otta, S.K., P. Ezhil Praveena, T. Bhuvaneswari, P. K. Patil, M. Poornima, K. P. Jithendran and S. V. Alavandi (2016). Technical advisory on steps for first time confirmation on of an exotic disease – A case study with AHPND/EMS. CIBA e-Publication Series, No.24 – Revised. pp. 1-4.
- Otta, S.K., Patil, P.K., Jithendran, K.P., Rajendran, K.P., Alavandi, S.V. and K.K. Vijayan (2016). Managing Enterocytozoon hepatopenaei (EHP), microsporidial infections in vannamei shrimp farming: An Advisory. CIBA e-publication No.29; January 2016
Books and monographs
- Jithendran, K.P. & Sujeet Kumar (2013). Handbook on Aquafarming-Diseases: Brackishwater Aquaculture. The Marine Products Export Development Authority, Kochi, pp. 128.
Book chapters and articles within proceedings
- Ananda Raja, R. & Jithendran K.P. (2015). Aquaculture Disease Diagnosis and Health Management (In: Advances in Marine and Brackishwater Aquaculture. Eds. S. Perumal et al., Springer India, Chapter No 23. (In press).
- Jithendran K.P. (2014). Parasites and Parasitic Diseases in Fish Culture System. In: Katoch, R., Godara, R., Anish Yadav (Eds.) 2014. Veterinary Parasitology. Chapter 12, pp. 331-376. Satish Serial Publishing House, Azadpur, Delhi. ISBN 978-93-81226-00-0, Chapter 12, pp. 331-376.
- Jithendran, K.P., Poornima, M., Balsubramanian, C.P. and Kulasekharapandian, S. (2009). Diseases of mud crabs in India. Bulletin No. 20, CIBA. p. 28.
- Jithendran, K.P. & Bhat, T.K. (2005). Dicrocoeliosis of farm animals in India. Special issue of proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (India). Section B, Biological sciences, Infectious Diseases of domestic animals and zoonoses in India (Editors: Veena Tandon and B.N.Dhawan), Vol. 75: 173-183. ISSN 0369-8211.
- Jithendran, K.P. & Katoch. R. (2003). Helminth parasites of livestock and wild animals in Himachal Pradesh - An overview. pp. 341-366 [In: Helminthology In India (ed. M.L. Sood.). p. 617, ISBN: 81-7089-293-7]. International Book Publishers, Dehradun.
ICAR-Central Institute of Brackishwater Aquaculture
75, Santhome High Road, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
India – 600 028
Mobile: +91 44 2461 8817
Fax: +91 44 2461 0311
External profile URL