Dr Saraswathy Ramamoorthy, Principal Scientist
ICAR-Central Institute of Brackishwater Aquaculture
My research interests focus on management of soil and water quality in the shrimp pond environment to achieve sustainable production. Nutrient dynamics and budgeting using tracer studies, application of nanotechnology, rejuvenating disused aquaculture ponds, mitigation to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and management of pond health in bio-floc systems are some areas of my work. I have 15 years of experience in soil and water chemistry of aquaculture ponds. My current research areas are the sediment-water interface as a pond health indicator; influence of abiotic factors on the physiology of shrimp; adaptation of shrimp to varying salinities; dynamics of water quality in lined ponds, integrated aqua-agri model and farmer’s livelihood improvement projects.
- Development of water and soil health card for environmental management of brackishwater aquaculture systems.
- National initiative on climate resilient agriculture - impact of climate change on aquaculture and mitigation options for minimising green house gases from the aquaculture sector.
- ICAR-All India Network Project on Fish Health.
- Development of environmental parameter monitoring tools and pond treatment technologies for brackishwater aquaculture.
- Improvement of growth and reproductive traits in penaeid shrimp (Feneropenaeus indicus) through breeding, nutritional and environmental interventions.
- Technology upgradation and refinement for sustainable development of diversified systems and species of penaeid shrimp.
- Economics of shrimp ponds, disuse and participatory appraisal of productive use options and policy needs.
- Technology refinement of nutrient dense nursery rearing and grow-out of Litopenaeus vannamei in periphyton and bio-floc based systems.
- Optimisation of aerators use to reduce production cost of shrimps under different brackishwater farming conditions.
- Family farming initiatives in brackishwater aquaculture for livelihood support of communities in Adyar Creek and estuary.
- Technological backstopping and promotion of sustainable aquaculture in west coast with particular reference to the state Gujarat.
Journal articles / periodicals
- Saraswathy, R., Muralidhar, M., Kailasam, M., Ravichandran, P., Gupta, B.P., Krishnani, K.K., Ponniah, A.G., Sundaray, J.K., Panigrahi, A., and Nagavel, A. (2013). Effect of stocking density on soil, water quality and nitrogen budget in Penaeus monodon (Fabricius, 1798) culture under zero water exchange system. Aquaculture Research, Vol. 44, pp. 1578-1588.
- Saraswathy, R., Ravi Sankar, T., Ravichandran, P., Deboral Vimala, D., Jayanthi, M., Muralidhar, M., Manohar, C., Vijay, M., and Santharupan, T.C. (2016). Assessment of soil and source water characteristics of disused shrimp ponds in selected coastal states of India and their suitability for resuming aquaculture. Indian Journal of Fisheries, Vol. 63(2), pp. 118-122.
- Saraswathy, R., Pandiyan, K., Muralidhar, M., Thulasi, D., Jeba, M., Lalitha, N., Nagavel, A., and Ponniah, A.G. (2013). Antibacterial activity of Zinc oxide nanoparticles against Vibrio harveyi. Indian Journal Fisheries, Vol. 60(4), pp. 107-112.
- Saraswathy, R., Muralidhar, M., Ravichandran, P., Lalitha, N., Kanaga Sabapathy, V., and Nagavel, A. (2013). Plankton diversity in Litopenaeus vannamei cultured ponds. International Journal of Bio-resource and Stress Management, Vol. 4(2), pp. 114-118.
- Alavandi, S.V., Muralidhar, M., Syama Dayal, J., Joseph Sahaya Rajan, Ezhil Praveena, P., Bhuvaneswari, T., Saraswathy, R., Chitra, V., Vijayan, K.K., Otta, S.K. (2018). Investigation on the infectious nature of Running Mortality Syndrome of farmed Pacific white leg shrimp, Penaeus vannamei in shrimp farms of India. Aquaculture, Vol. 500, pp. 278-289.
- Krithika, G., Saraswathy, R., Muralidhar, M., Thulasi, D., Lalitha, N., Kumararaja, P., Nagavel, A., Arun Balaji., and Jayavel, R. (2017). Zinc Oxide Nanoparticles-Synthesis, Characterization and Antibacterial Activity. Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Vol. 17(8), pp. 5209-5216.
- Thulasi, D., Saraswathy, R., and Muralidhar, M. (2017). Isolation, Purification and Immobilization of Sulfide oxidase from Alcaligenes faecalis. Indian Journal of Applied Research, Vol. 7(8), pp. 139-141.
- Chitra, V., Muralidhar, M., Saraswathy, R., Syama Dayal, J., Lalitha, N., Thulasi, D., and Nagavel, A. (2017). Mineral availability from commercial mineral mixtures for supplementation in aquaculture pond waters of varying salinity. International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies, Vol. 5(4), pp. 430-434.
- Lalitha, N., Muralidhar, M., Saraswathy, R., Kumararaja, P., and Nagavel, A. (2017). Effect of cassava waste on bioremediation of nitrogenous metabolites and shrimp growth. Journal of Environmental Biology, Vol. 38(4), pp. 611-616.
- Thulasi, D., Muralidhar, M., Saraswathy, R., and Ashok Kumar, J. (2017). Temporal and Spatial Distribution of Sulfate Reducing Bacteria in Shrimp Culture Pond Sediment. Asian Journal of Environment and Ecology, Vol. 3(4), pp. 1-16.
- Panigrahi, A., Sundaram, M., Jebha, M., Syamadayal, J., Otta, S.K., Bhuvaneswari, T., Saraswathy, R., Shyne Anand, P.S., Rajababu, D., Saranya, C., Gopal, C., and Ravichandran, P. (2017). Biofloc based nutrient dense culture system for nursery and grow-out farming of Pacific shite shrimp Penaeus vannamei Boone, 1931, Indian Journal of Fisheries, Vol. 64, pp. 22-32.
- Vasanth, M., Muralidhar, M., Saraswathy, R., Nagavel, A., Syama Dayal, J., Jayanthi, M., Lalitha, N., Kumararaja, P., and Vijayan, K.K. (2016). Methodological approach for the collection and simultaneous estimation of greenhouse gases emission from aquaculture ponds. Environ. Monit. Assess., Vol. 188(12), pp. 671.
- Muralidhar M., Kumaran, M., Ashok Kumar., Syama Dayal, J., Jayanthi, M., Saraswathy, R., Lalitha, N., Panigrahi, A., Sreenivasa Rao., Muniyandi, B., and Murugan, P. (2013). Climate change and coastal aquaculture in West Godavari District: Andhra Pradesh: Impacts, vulnerability, adaptations and mitigations for resilience. Journal of Agrometeorology, Vol. 15, pp. 116-122.
- Kaushik Bhattacharjee, Saraswathy, R., Dina Barman, Kalyanjit Sarmah, and Saravanan, V.S. (2013). Soil physico-chemical parameters and bacterial load influences the alkaline phosphatase activity: A study in sediment of brackishwater systems along East-coast India. Journal of Biodiversity and Environmental Science, Vol. 3 (1), pp. 7-15.
- Gopal Krishna, Gopikrishna, G., Gopal, C., Jahageerdar, S., Ravichandran, P., Kannappan,S., Pillai, S.M., Paulpandi, S., Remanibhaskaran P. Kiran, Saraswathy, R., Venugopal, G., Dilip Kumar, Thomas Gitterle, Carols Lozano, Morten Rye and Ben Hayes. (2011). Genetic parameters for growth and survival in Penaeus monodon culture in India. Aquaculture, Vol. 318, pp. 74–78
- Krishnani, K.K., Gupta, B.P., Muralidhar, M., Saraswathy, R., Pillai, S.M., Ponnusamy, K and Nagavel, N. (2011). Soil and water characteristics of traditional paddy and shrimp fields of Kerala. Indian Journal of Fisheries, Vol. 58 (4), pp. 71-77.
- Saraswathy, R., Muralidhar, M., Sundaray, J.K., Lalitha, N., and Kumararaja, P. (2015). Water quality management in fish hatchery and grow-out systems. In: Santhanam Perumal, Thirunavukkarasu, A.R. and Perumal Pachiappan (eds). Advances in marine and brackishwater aquaculture, Springer (India) Pvt. Ltd. pp. 217-225.
- Saraswathy, R., Muralidhar, M., Gupta, B.P., and Nagavel, A. (2014). Water quality management in brackishwater aquaculture. pp. 53-68. Frontiers in Aquaculture. Narendra Publishing House. ISBN: 978-93-80428-83-3
- Muralidhar, M., Saraswathy, R., Syama Dayal, J., and Vass, V.V. (2017). Nitrogen assessment and Management in Brackish-Water aquaculture of India. In: Abrol Y.P., et al. (eds). The Indian Nitrogen assessment. Elsevier publications pp. 287-299. ISBN: 978-0-12-811836-8.
- Muralidhar, M., Lalitha, N., Saraswathy, R., Kumararaja, P., and Suvana, S. (2017). Environmental stress and its prevention in aquatic animals. In: K.K. Vijayan eds. Compendium on prophylaxis in aquaculture, pp. 27-34. ISBN No : 978-81-932937-7-5
- Muralidhar, M., Panigrahi, A., and Saraswathy, R. (2016). Water foot print accounting in aquaculture systems. In: Kar, G., et al. (eds). Manual on Water footprint computation in agriculture (Crop, Livestock and Fisheries) Publication No.76, ICAR-Indian Institute of Water Management, Bhubaneswar. pp. 59-67.
- Muralidhar, M., Vasanth, M., Saraswathy, R., Syama Dayal, J., Lalitha, N. and Nagavel, A. (2013). Measurement of greenhouse gas emissions from aquaculture. pp. 45-51. Measurement of greenhouse gas emission from crop, livestock and aquaculture. p. 101 ISBN: 978-81-88708-98-7.
Central institute of Brackishwater Aquaculture
75 Santhome High Road
Chennai 28, Tamil Nadu
Mobile: +91 44-24616948
Fax: +91 44-24610311