Dr Akshaya Panigrahi, Principal Scientist
ICAR-Central Institute of Brackishwater Aquaculture
My research interests are to establish the probiotic-induced immunomodulation and identify the immune mechanisms involved in aquatic animals, especially in shrimps, trouts and carps. I have developed technologies related to crustacean breeding and seed production, immunostimulation, and low input sustainable aquaculture systems such as organic and biofloc based farming approaches. I have also worked on development of aquaculture database systems, documentation and evaluation of indigenous technologies and knowledge, and exploration of fish germplasm resources.
I worked as PI and Co-PI in several projects on the diversification of species and system, disease surveillance and adoption of better management practices in shrimp farming. I worked in prestigious Institutions like Scottish Fish Immunology research Centre (UK) and Tokyo (Japan) on Molecular Immunology aspects in Aquaculture in 2011. I served in various capacities including Officer-in-Charge at Research Centres. I have been bestowed with Hirala Choudhari Best Young Scientist Award and IAES Gold Medal for contribution to science and Young scientist grant at International Marine Biotech Association, Newfoundland (Canada). I’m a first ranker in JRF and Agricultural Research Service Exam (ICAR, 1997) in my subject. I have seventy five international and national level peer reviewed journal publications and several technologies to his credit.
- Healthy shrimp and ‘GIFT’ tilapia production through bio-floc based farming system: Development of technology and standard operating procedure.
- Upgradation of breeding and culture technology of Indian white shrimp P. indicus through stock evaluation and culture demonstrations.
- Technology upgradation and refinement for sustainable development of diversified systems and species of penaeid shrimp.
Details of these projects are available from the CIBA ongoing projects webpage.
Journal articles / periodicals
- Panigrahi, A., Saranya, C., Sundaram, M., Vinoth Kannan, S.R., Das Rasmi R., Satish Kumar, R., Rajesh, P., Otta, S. K. (2018). Carbon: Nitrogen (C:N) ratio level variation influences the microbial community of the system and growth as well as immunity of shrimp (Litopenaeus vannamei) in biofloc based culture system. Fish & Shellfish Immunology, Vol. 81, pp. 329-337.
- Akshaya Panigrahi, Kiron Viswanath and Suichi Satoh. (2011). Real time quantification of the immune gene expression in rainbow trout fed different forms of probiotic bacteria Lactobacillus rhamnosus. Aquaculture Research, Vol. 42, pp. 906-917.
- A. Panigrahi, V. Kiron, S. Satoh, T. Watanabe. (2010). Probiotic bacteria Lactobacillus rhamnosus influences the blood profile in rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss (Walbaum). Fish Physiology and Biochemistry, Vol. 36(4), pp. 969-77.
- Akshaya Panigrahi, Kiron Viswanath, Goro Yoshizaki and Shuichi Satoh (2009). Probiotics for sustainable Aquaculture: Investigation in to the molecular immunomodulation induced by probiotic bacteria through Realtime PCR. J. Ind. Coastal Agricultural Research, Vol. 27(2), pp. 49-53.
- A. Panigrahi, I.S. Azad, B.K. Das, G. Das, S. Behera, J. Dandpat, and S.S. Mishra. (2009). Probiotic induced immunomodulation: investigation in to the cellular and molecular mechanism involved. Research Journal of Biotechnology, Vol. 4(3), pp. 7-13.
- A. Panigrahi, V. Kiron, S. Satoh, I. Hirono, T. Kobayashi, T. Aoki, J. Puangkaew, H. Sugita. (2007). Immunomodulation and expression of immune related genes in rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss fed probiotic-supplemented diets. Development and Comparative Immunology, Vol. 31, pp. 372-382.
- A. Panigrahi and I.S. Azad. (2007). Microbial intervention for better fish health in aquaculture: The Indian scenario. Fish Physiology and Biochemistry, Vol. 33, pp. 429-440.
- A. Panigrahi, V. Kiron, J. Puangkaew, T. Kobayashi, S. Satoh, and H. Sugita, 2005. The viability of probiotic bacteria as a factor influencing the immune response in rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss. Aquaculture, Vol. 243, pp. 241-254.
- A. Panigrahi, V. Kiron, T. Kobayashi, J. Puangkaew, S. Satoh and H. Sugita, 2004. Immune responses in rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss induced by a potential probiotic bacteria Lactobacillus rhamnosus JCM 1136. Vet. Immun. Immunopath, Vol. 102, pp. 379-388.
- A. Panigrahi, J. K. Sundaray, T.K. Ghoshal, D. De and P. Ravichandran. (2009). Biosecure zero water exchange system technology of shrimp farming for better monitoring of coastal ecosystem. J. Ind. Coastal Agricultural Research, Vol. 27(1), pp. 50-53.
- A. Panigrahi, I. S. Azad, B. K. Das, G. Das, S. Behera, J. Dandpat, and S. S. Mishra. Probiotic induced immunomodulation: Investigation into the cellular and molecular mechanism involved. Research Journal of Biotechnology, Vol. 4(3), pp. 7-13.
- A.Panigrahi, Sundaram M., Jebha J., Syama Dayal, J., Otta, S.K., Bhuvaneswari, T., Saraswathy R., Shyne Anand, P.S., Rajababu D., Saranya, C., Gopal C. and Ravichandran P. (2017). Biofloc Based Technology Evaluation for Nutrient Dense Culture System for Nursery and Grow-Out Farming of Pacific White Shrimp Litopenaeus vannamei. Indian Journal of Fisheries, Vol. 64 (Special Issue), pp. 22-32.
ICAR-Central Institute of Brackishwater Aquaculture
75 Santhom High Road
Mobile: +91 (90) 25739499