Dr C.P. Balasubramanian, Principal Scientist, and Scientist-In-Charge
Crustacean Culture Division, ICAR-Central Institute of Brackishwater Aquaculture
Skills: Culture-based fisheries, Genetics and biodiversity, Hatchery and nursery, Health and welfare, Livelihoods, gender and social issues, Aquatic plants, Shrimp, Crabs and lobsters, Environment and sustainability, Training and education, Governance
My research over the past 25 years has been focused on different aspects of marine crustacean husbandry and management with an emphasis on crustacean reproduction in relation to seed production and farming systems. My work has focussed on seed production of penaeid shrimps Penaeus monodon, P. indicus and mud crabs Scylla spp., their reproductive physiology and production systems. I have standardised and developed hatchery production of mud crab species and developed a model for land based and open water integrated multi-trophic aquaculture systems. I have been principal and co-investigator for many projects related to these disciplines.
- Shyne Anand, P.S., Balasubramanian, C.P., Lalramchhani, C., Panigrahi, A., Gopal, C., Ghoshal, T.K. and Vijayan, K.K. (2018). Comparison of mudcrab‐based brackishwater polyculture systems with different finfish species combinations in Sundarban, India. Aquaculture Research, Vol. 49(9), pp. 2965-2976.
- Balasubramanian, C.P., Mhaskar, S.S., Sukumaran, K., Panigrahi, A., Vasagam, K., Kumararaja, P., Thigale, D., Sawant, R., Vijayan, K.K. and Vasudevan, N. (2018). Development of integrated multi-trophic aquaculture (IMTA) for tropical brackishwater species in Sindhudurg District, Maharashtra, west coast of India. Indian Journal of Fisheries, Vol. 65(1), pp. 59-64.
- Sukumaran, V., Jose, S., Chekidhenkuzhiyil, J., Lalithabai, M.D., Nair, S.B., Christo, D., Kizhakedath, V.K., Balasubramanian C P ., Philip, R. and Sarojini, B.S.I. (2017). ELISA detection of vitellogenin in the haemolymph of Penaeus monodon (Fabricius, 1798)(Caridea: Penaeidae): indirect indicator of female maturity. Journal of Crustacean Biology, Vol. 37(4), pp. 473-480.
- Merlin, J.R., Mohanlal, D.L., Balasubramanian, C.P., Vijayan, K.K., Subramoniam, T., Sherly, T., Syama Dayal, J. and Gopal, C. (2016). Vertebrate-type steroid profile in different tissues of wild and endocrinologically manipulated female brood stocks of Penaeus monodon. Current Science, Vol. 111, pp. 1-7
- Tomy, S., Saikrithi, P., James, N., Balasubramanian, C.P., Panigrahi, A., Otta, S.K., Subramoniam, T. and Ponniah, A.G. (2016). Serotonin induced changes in the expression of ovarian gene network in the Indian white shrimp, Penaeus indicus. Aquaculture, Vol. 452, pp. 239-246.
- Merlin, J., Mohanlal, D.L., Balasubramanian, C.P., Sherly, T., Subramoniam, T., Syamadayal, J., Ravichandran, P., Ponniah, A.G., Gopal, C. and Vijayan, K.K. (2015). Induction of vitellogenesis and reproductive maturation in tiger shrimp, Penaeus monodon by 17ß-estradiol and 17α-hydroxyprogesterone: in vivo and in vitro studies. Invertebrate Reproduction & Development, Vol. 59(3), pp. 166-175.
- Balasubramanian, C.P., Cubelio, S.S., Mohanlal, D.L., Ponniah, A.G., Kumar, R., Bineesh, K.K., Ravichandran, P., Gopalakrishnan, A., Mandal, A. and Jena, J.K. (2016). DNA sequence information resolves taxonomic ambiguity of the common mud crab species (Genus Scylla) in Indian waters. Mitochondrial DNA Part A, Vol. 27(1), pp. 270-275.
- Vijayan, K.K., Reynold, P., Mohanlal, D. and Balasubramanian, C.P. (2013). Preliminary characterisation of gonad inhibiting hormone (GIH) gene and its expression pattern during vitellogenesis in giant tiger shrimp, Penaeus monodon Fabricius, 1798. Indian Journal of Fisheries, Vol. 60(2), pp. 103-107.
- Raj, S., Vijayan, K.K., Alavandi, S.V., Balasubramanian, C.P. and Santiago, T.C. (2012). Effect of temperature and salinity on the infectivity pattern of white spot syndrome virus (WSSV) in giant tiger shrimp Penaeus monodon (Fabricius, 1837). Indian Journal of Fisheries, Vol. 59 (3). pp. 109-115.
- Balasubramanian C P Fierro, I.J. and Tsukimura, B. (2010). Stimulation of ovarian growth by methyl farnesoate and eyestalk ablation in penaeoidean model shrimp, Sicyonia ingentis Burkenroad, 1938. Aquaculture Research, Vol. 41(12), pp. 1887-1897.
- Kumar, S.S., Bharathi, R.A., Rajan, J.J.S., Alavandi, S.V., Poornima, M., Balasubramanian, C.P. and Ponniah, A.G. (2013). Viability of white spot syndrome virus (WSSV) in sediment during sun-drying (drainable pond) and under non-drainable pond conditions indicated by infectivity to shrimp. Aquaculture, Vol. 402, pp. 119-126.
- Stalinraj, V., Vijayan, K.K., Sanjuktha, M., Balasubramanian, C.P., Alavandi, S.V. and Santiago, T.C. (2009). Virulence status, viral accommodation and structural protein profiles of white spot syndrome virus isolates in farmed Penaeus monodon from the southeast coast of India. Aquaculture Research, Vol. 40(2), pp. 129-138.
- Vijayan, K.K., Raj, V.S., Balasubramanian, C.P., Alavandi, S.V., Sekhar, V.T. and Santiago, T.C. (2005). Polychaete worms—a vector for white spot syndrome virus (WSSV). Diseases of Aquatic Organisms, Vol. 63(2-3), pp. 107-111.
- Balasubramanian, C.P., Pillai, S.M. and Ravichandran, P. (2004). Zero-water exchange shrimp farming systems (extensive) in the periphery of Chilka lagoon, Orissa, India. Aquaculture International, Vol. 12(6), pp. 555-572.
- Vijayan, K.K., Balasubramanian, C.P., Jithendran, K.P., Alavandi, S.V. and Santiago, T.C. (2003). Histopathology of Y-organ in Indian white shrimp Fenneropenaeus indicus, experimentally infected with white spot syndrome virus. Aquaculture, Vol. 221(1-4), pp. 97-106.
- Balasubramanian, C.P. and Suseelan, C. (2001). Distribution and population structure of deep-water crab Charybdis smithii (Decapoda: Portunidae) in the Arabian Sea and Bay of Bengal. Bulletin of Marine Science, Vol. 68(3), pp. 435-449.
- Balasubramanian, C.P. and Suseelan, C. (2001). Biochemical composition of the deep-water crab Charybdis smithii. Indian Journal of Fisheries, Vol. 48(3), pp. 333-335.
- Balasubramanian, C.P. and Suseelan, C. (2000). Male reproductive system and spermatogenesis in the deep water crab Charyhdis smithii McLeay (Brachyura: Portunidae). Indian Journal of Fisheries, Vol. 47(4), pp. 275-282.
- Balasubramanian, C.P. and Suseelan, C. (1998). Natural diet of the deep water crab Charybdis smithii McLeay (Brachyura: Portunidae) of the seas around India. Indian Journal of Fisheries, Vol. 45(4), pp. 407-412.
- Balasubramanian, C.P. and Suseelan, C. (1998). Reproductive biology of the female deepwater crab Charybdis smithii (Brachyura: Portunidae) from the Indian seas. Asian Fisheries Science, Vol. 10, pp. 211-222.