Dr M. Jayanthi, Principal Scientist
ICAR-Central Institute of Brackishwater Aquaculture
My work focuses on remote sensing and geographic information system applications for sustainable aquaculture particularly site selection, environmental impact assessment and planning for climate change. I joined the Indian Agricultural Research Service in 1993 and started the work on the use of remote sensing data for brackishwater aquaculture development and management. I am a recipient of the Young Scientist Award from the Asian Fisheries Society; the Dr. H. S. Sen Award from the Indian Society of Coastal Agricultural Research and the Best Paper Award from the College of Fisheries, Toothukudi. My publications include 50 peer reviewed research papers and ten book chapters. I have a Master of Engineering in Agriculture from the Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, a Doctorate in Civil engineering from Anna University and serve as a reviewer in the journal Estuarine Coast Shelf Science.
- Delineation of areas for brackishwater aquaculture with reference to environmental conditions and regulations using GIS based multi criteria decision support system.
- Development of techniques to quantity the impacts scenario between environment and aquaculture using remote sensing and geographic information systems.
- Mapping of coastal resources and identifying suitable brackishwater areas for integrated multi-trophic aquaculture in Maharashtra.
- Optimisation of aerators use to reduce production cost of shrimps under different brackishwater farming conditions.
- Impact of climate change on aquaculture and mitigation options for minimising greenhouse gases from aquaculture sector.
- Jayanthi M., S. Thirumurthy, G. Nagaraj, M. Muralidhar, P.R avichandran. (2018). Spatial and temporal changes in mangrove cover across the protected and unprotected forests of India. Estuarine, Coast and Shelf Science, Vol. 213, pp. 81-91.
- Jayanthi, M, S. Thirumurthy, M. Muralidhar, P. Ravichandran. (2018). Impact of shrimp aquaculture development on important ecosystems in India. Global Environmental Change, Vol. 52, pp. 10-21.
- Jayanthi, M., Thirumurthy, S., Samynathan, M., Duraisamy, M., M. Muralidhar, J. Ashok Kumar and K.K. Vijayan. (2018). Shoreline change and potential sea level rise impacts in a climate hazardous location in southeast coast of India. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, Vol. 190, p. 51.
- R. Saraswathy, T. Ravisankar, P. Ravichandran, D.D. Vimala, M. Jayanthi. (2016). Assessment of soil and source water characteristics of disused shrimp ponds in selected coastal states of India and their suitability for resuming aquaculture. Indian Journal of Fisheries, Vol. 63(2), pp. 118-122.
- M. Vasanth, M. Muralidhar, R. Saraswathy, A. Nagavel, J. Syama Dayal, M. Jayanthi, N. Lalitha, P. Kumararaja and K.K. Vijayan. (2016). Methodological approach for the collection and simultaneous estimation of greenhouse gases emission from aquaculture ponds. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, Vol. 188, p. 671.
- J. Ashok Kumar, M. Muralidhar, M. Jayanthi and M. Kumaran. (2013). Trend analysis of weather data in shrimp farming areas of Nagapattinam district of Tamil Nadu. Journal of Agro Meteorology, Vol. 15(2), pp. 129-134.
- M. Muralidhar, M. Kumaran, J. Ashok Kumar, J. Syama Dayal, M. Jayanthi, R. Saraswathy, N. Lalitha, A. Panigrahi, A. Sreenivasa Rao, B. Muniyandi and P. Murugan. (2013). Climate change and coastal aquaculture in West Godavari District, Andhra Pradesh: Impacts, vulnerability, adaptations and mitigations for resilience. Journal of Agro Meteorology, Vol. 15(2), pp. 116-122.
- P. Nila Rekha, P. Ravichandran, R. Gangadharan, J.H. Bhatt, A. Panigrahi, S.M. Pillai, and M. Jayanthi. (2013). Assessment of hydrogeochemical characteristics of groundwater in shrimp farming areas in coastal Tamil Nadu, India. Aquaculture International, Vol. 21(5), pp. 1137-1153.
- Jayanthi M. (2011). Monitoring of brackishwater aquaculture development using multi spectral satellite data and GIS. Indian Journal of Fisheries, Vol. 58(1), pp. 85-90.
- Jayanthi M., N. Kavitha, P. Ravichandran and M. Muralidhar. (2007). Assessment of impact of brackishwater aquaculture on Pulicat Lake environment and its nearby resources using remote sensing and GIS techniques. J. of Aquaculture in the Tropics, Vol. 22 (1-2), pp. 55-69.
- Jayanthi M., L. Gnanapzhalam, S. Ramachandran. (2007). Assessment of Impact of Aquaculture on Mangrove Environments in South East Coast of India Using Remote Sensing and GIS. Asian Fisheries Science, Vol. 20(3), pp. 325-328.
- Jayanthi M. (2007). Engineering aspects of aqua farm design for sustainability of environment and aquaculture. Indian Journal of Fisheries, Vol. 54(1), pp. 114-119.
- Jayanthi M., M. Muralidhar and S. Ramachandran. (2007). Impact of shrimp farming on soil characteristics of Vellar Coleroon estuary in south east coast of India, Tamil Nadu. Indian Journal of Fisheries, Vol. 54(2), pp. 179-187.
- Jayanthi M., P. Nila Rekha, N. Kavitha and P. Ravichandran. (2006). Assessment of impact of aquaculture on Kolleru Lake (India) using remote sensing and geographical information system. Aquaculture Research, Vol. 37, pp. 1617-1626.
- V. Parimala, K.K. Krishnani, B.P. Gupta, M. Jayanthi and M. Abraham. (2004). Phytoremediation of Chromium from Seawater Using Five Different Products from Coconut Husk. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, Vol. 73(1) pp. 31-41.
ICAR-Central Institute of Brackishwater Aquaculture
75 Santhome High Road, MRC Nagar
Mobile: +91 (44) 24618817
Fax: +91 (44) 24610311
External profile URL