Dr Vindhya Mohindra, Principal Scientist and Head
Fish Conservation Division, National Bureau of Fish Genetic Resources (ICAR)
Skills: Climate change, Freshwater finfish, Genetics and biodiversity
My research interests include conservation genetics and genomics in natural populations of fishes. In the course of twenty five years' research experience, I have developed genetic resources to generate the information to be utilised in conservation and management of natural resources of fishes of India. Additionally, I have studied signatures of natural selection and genomic diversity in important freshwater fish species to build genomic resources and to gain knowledge about functional biodiversity. I am also working on deciphering molecular basis of tolerance in fishes for abiotic stresses, like hypoxia, high temperature and high ammonia tolerance. At present, I have over hundred publications with an H-index of 18.
- ICAR funded project under National Agricultural Science Fund (NASF): To elucidate the unique biochemical adaptational strategies that allow two air-breathing catfishes (Clarias batrachus and Heteropneustes fossilis) to survive in ammonia enriched toxic waste, under consortium mode as Consortium Co-Principal Investigator: 2018 to 2021.
- National Innovations on Climate Resilient Agriculture (NICRA) competitive grant project: Understanding genomic mechanisms of thermal tolerance using golden mahseer, Tor putitora as model as Principal Investigator: 2018 to 2020.
- ICAR sponsored project CRP-Genomics: De-novo genome sequencing of anadromous Indian shad, Tenualosa ilisha and Indian major carp, Catla catla (Principal Investigator) Phase I: 2015-2017, Phase II 2017-2020.
- DBT-BBSRC-DFID Project: Poverty alleviation through prevention and future control of the two major socioeconomically-important diseases in Asian aquaculture as Co-Investigator 2016 to 2019.
- ICAR funded project under National Agricultural Science Fund (NASF): Stock characterization, captive breeding, seed production and culture of hilsa (Tenualosa ilisha) under consortium mode as Consortium Co-Principal Investigator for NBFGR 2012 to 2017. Budget (NBFGR) INR 198.00 lakhs (USD 0.36 million) Institute's projects handled.
- ICAR-Institute funded project: Signatures of natural selection and genomic diversity in important freshwater fish species, Tor putitora and Clarias magur Institute funded (As PI) (2014 to March 2019).
- ICAR-Institute funded project: Outreach activity on fish genetic stocks-Phase II (Co-PI) 2015-2018.
- ICAR-Institute funded project: Deciphering Aphanomyces invadans genome to understand its mechanism of infection in fishes (Co -PI) 2015-2018.
Research papers in Peered Reviewed Journals
- Divya B.K., Vindhya Mohindra, Rajeev K. Singh, Prabhaker Yadav, Prachi Masih, J.K. Jena. Genes involved in growth, lipid metabolism and immune system revealed by muscle transcriptome profile of tropical shad, Tenualosa ilisha (Hamilton, 1822). Genes and Genomes.
- Sangeeta Mandal, Kuldeep Kumar Lal, Rajeev Kumar Singh, Rama Shanker Sah, J. K. Jena, Vindhya Mohindra (2018) Comparative Length-Weight Relationship and Condition Factor of tropical shad, Tenualosa ilisha (Hamilton, 1822) from freshwater, estuarine and marine waters of India. Indian Journal of Fisheries 65(2): 33-41.
- Bhaskar, R. and Vindhya Mohindra (2018) Variability in DNA COI sequences reveals new haplotypes in freshwater turtles from northern region of India. Mitochondrial DNA Part B 3:1, 317-323.
- Maisnam Manorama; Mohindra, Vindhya; Chandra, Suresh; Lal, Kuldeep K; Singh, Rajeev K (2017). Characterization of threatened endemic fish Osteobrama belangeri (Valenciennes) and related species from North-East India based on morphological and molecular analysis. Mitochondrial DNA Part A 29(6):919-932.
- Divya, B.K, Prabhaker Yadav, Prachi Masih, Rajeev K. Singh, Vindhya Mohindra (2017). In silico characterization of Myogenic Factor 6 transcript of Hilsa, Tenualosa ilisha and putative role of its SNPs with differential growth. MetaGene, 13:140–148.
- Dwivedi, Arvind K, Braj Kishor Gupta, Rajeev K. Singh, Vindhya Mohindra, Suresh Chandra, Suresh Easawarn, Joykrushna Jena (2017). Cryptic diversity in the Indian clade of the catfish family Pangasiidae resolved by the description of a new species. Hydrobiologia 797 (1), 351–370.
- Mohindra, Vindhya, Rajeev Kumar Singh, Ratnesh Kumar Tripathi, Kuldeep Kumar Lal and J. K. Jena (2017). Complete mitogenome of Indian mottled eel, Anguilla bengalensis bengalensis (Gray, 1831) through PacBio RSII sequencing (Mitogenome Announcement). Mitochondrial DNA Part A, 28(2): 238-239.
- Lakra, W.S., Singh M., M. Goswami, A. Gopalakrishnan, K.K. Lal, V , Mohindra, UK , Sarkar, P.P., Punia, K.V., Singh, J.P., Bhatt, S., Ayyappan (2016). DNA barcoding Indian freshwater fishes. Mitochondrial DNA: The Journal of DNA Mapping, Sequencing, and Analysis Part A 27(6):4510-4517.
- Mohindra, Vindhya, Ratnesh Kumar Tripathi, Akanksha Singh, Ruchi Patangia, Rajeev Kumar Singh, Kuldeep Kumar Lal and Joy Krushna Jena (2016). Hypoxic stress-responsive genes in air breathing catfish, Clarias magur (Hamilton 1822) and their possible physiological adaptive function. Fish and Shellfish Immunology 59, 46-56.
- Lal, Kuldeep Kumar, Arvind K Dwivedi, Rajeev K. Singh, Vindhya Mohindra, Suresh Chandra, Braj Kishor Gupt, Smita Dhawan, Joykrushna Jena (2016). A new Bagrid catfish species, Rita bakaluae (Siluriformes: Bagridae), from the Godavari River basin, India. Hydrobiologia.
- Mohindra, Vindhya, Ratnesh K. Tripathi, Prabhaker Yadav, Rajeev K. Singh and Kuldeep K. Lal (2015). Hypoxia induced altered expression of heat shock protein genes (Hsc71, Hsp90a and Hsp10) in Indian Catﬁsh, Clarias batrachus (Linnaeus, 1758) under oxidative stress. Molecular Biology Reports (2015) 42:1197–1209.
- Mohindra, Vindhya, Rajeev K. Singh, Rajesh Kumar, R. S. Sah and Kuldeep K. Lal.(2015). Complete mitochondrial genome sequences of two endangered Indian catfish species, Clarias batrachus and Pangasius pangasius (Mitogenome Announcement). Mitochondrial DNA: The Journal of DNA Mapping, Sequencing, and Analysis 26(5): 678–679.
- Lal, Kuldeep K., Braj K. Gupta, Peyush Punia, Vindhya Mohindra, Ved P. Saini, Arvind K. Dwivedi, Rajeev K. Singh, V. S. Basheer, Smita Dhawan, Rupesh K. Luhariya, and J. K. Jena (2015). Revision of gonius subgroup of the genus Labeo Cuvier, 1816 and confirmation of species status of Labeo rajasthanicus (Cypriniformes: Cyprinidae) with designation of a neotype. Indian Journal of Fisheries 62(4): 10-22.
- Khare, Praveen, Vindhya Mohindra; Anindya S. Barman; Rajeev K. Singh; Kuldeep Kumar Lal (2014). Molecular Phylogenetic Evidence to Reconcile Taxonomic Instability in Mahseer Species (Pisces: Cyprinidae) of India. Organisms Diversity and Evolution 14 (3): 307-326.
- Murray, H. M., S. P. Lall, R. Rajaselvam, L.A. Boutilier, R.M. Flight, B. Blanchard, S. Colombo, V. Mohindra, M. Yúfera and S.E. Douglas (2010). Effect of early introduction of microencapsulated diet to larval Atlantic halibut, Hippoglossus hippoglossus, L. assessed by microarray analysis. Marine Biotechnology 12: 214–229.
- Suresh, V.R., A. M. Sajina, S. Dasgupta, D. De, D. N. Chattopadhyaya, B. K. Behra, Ritesh Rajan, Vindhya Mohindra and S. Bhattacharya (2017) Current Status of Knowledge on Hilsa, Publisher: ICAR - Central Inland Fisheries Research Institute, Barrackpore, Kolkatta 700 120, W.B. ISBN No. 81-85482-22-5.pp 108.
- Jena, J. K. and Vindhya Mohindra (2013) Application of genomics for enhancing aquaculture productivity and production. Lead lecture: International Symposium on Genomics in Aquaculture, 22-23 January, 2013 at CIFA, Bhubneshwar, Orissa. pp 5-15.
- Kumar, Ravindra, N S Nagpure, Vindhya Mohindra, B Kushwaha, Mahender Singh and J K Jena (2013) Fish genomics research in India: A way forward. Theme paper for Expert Consultation on Fish Genomics Research in India: A Way Forward, organized by National Bureau of Fish Genetic Resources, Lucknow on August 2, 2013.
Presented at International Forum
- Mohindra, Vindhya, Ratnesh K. Tripathi, Tanushree Dangi, Rajeev K Singh, Rakshit Chaudhary, Trivesh Mayekar, B. Kushwaha, Rajesh Kumar, Kuldeep K. Lal, J. K. Jena, T. Mohapatra (2017) Draft genome of the anadromous Indian shad, Tenualosa ilisha. Poster Presented at The International Conference on the Status of Plant & Animal Genome Research, PAG ASIA 2017. May 29-31, 2017, held at Seoul, South Korea. Abstract No. P0049.
Canal Ring Road
Lucknow - 226 002
Mobile: +91 (0522) 2440145 extension no. 233
Fax: +91 (0522) 2442403
External profile URL