Dr M. Makesh, Principal Scientist
ICAR-Central Institute of Brackishwater Aquaculture
Skills: Health and welfare
My research priorities include fish immunology and disease diagnostics. I have nineteen years of research and teaching experience in fish health management, including development of immunodiagnostics and molecular diagnostics for fish and shrimp diseases. My research interests also include study of fish immunoglobulins and other molecules involved in fish immune response; development and use of fish cell lines for isolation and propagation of fish viruses; development of vaccines; and assessment of fish immune response to vaccination.
- Development of vaccine against betanodavirus infecting Asian seabass.
- Development of improved diagnostics to existing and emerging pathogens of shrimp and fish.
- Development of sensitive diagnostic assays to for establishment of specific pathogen free Asian seabass broodstock.
- Molecular characterisation of type-1 interferon of Indian major carps and its application as an adjuvant for fish vaccination.
- Anutosh Paria, Makesh, M., Aparna Chaudhari, Purushothaman, C.S. and Rajendran, K.V. (2018). Toll-like receptor (TLR) 22, a non-mammalian TLR in Asian seabass, Lates calcarifer: Characterisation, ontogeny and inductive expression upon exposure with bacteria and ligands. Developmental and Comparative Immunology, Vol. 81, pp. 180-186.
- Sathish Kumar, T., Navaneeth Krishnan, A., Joseph Sahaya Rajan J., Makesh M., Jithendran K. P., Alavandi S. V. and Vijayan K. K. (2018). Visual loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) for the rapid diagnosis of Enterocytozoon hepatopenaei (EHP) infection. Parasitology Research, Vol. 117, pp.1485–1493.
- Sajal Kole, Ranjeeta Kumari, Deepika Anand, Saurav Kumar, Rupam Sharma, Gayatri Tripathi, Makesh, M., Rajendran, K. V. and Megha Kadam Bedekar. (2018). Nanoconjugation of bicistronic DNA vaccine against Edwardsiella tarda using chitosan nanoparticles: Evaluation of its protective efficacy and immune modulatory effects in Labeo rohita vaccinated by different delivery routes. Vaccine, Vol. 36(16), pp. 2155-2165.
- Kole, S., Anand, D., Sharma, R., Tripathi, G., Makesh, M., Rajendran, K.V. and Kadam Bedekar, M. (2017). Tissue specific expression profile of some immune related genes in Labeo rohita to Edwardsiella tarda infection. Fish and Shellfish Immunology, Vol. 66, pp. 575-582.
- Husne Banu, Deepika Anand, Megha Bedekar, Rajendran K. V. and Makesh, M. (2017). Monoclonal antibodies against recombinant GAPDH of Edwardsiella tarda reveal the conserved nature of the protein. Food and Agricultural Immunology, Vol. 28, pp. 685–698.
- Saravanan, K., Rajendran, K.V., Gireesh Babu, P., Purushothaman, C.S. and Makesh, M. (2017). Ontogenic expression of adaptive immune genes in rohu, Labeo rohita (Hamilton, 1822). Indian Journal of Biotechnology, Vol. 16, pp. 304-314.
- Janmejay Parhi, Lopamudra Sahoo, Jyotibrata Choudhury, Tanmoy Gon Choudhury, Arunjyoti Baruah, Pani Prasad, K. and Makesh, M. (2015). Molecular characterization and expression analysis of interferon ɤ (IFN- ɤ) gene in Labeo rohita (Ham.). Aquaculture Reports, Vol. 2, pp. 97–105.
- Makesh, M., Ponnerassery S. Sudheesh and Kenneth D. Cain. (2015). Systemic and mucosal immune response of rainbow trout to immunization with an attenuated Flavobacterium psychrophilum vaccine strain by different routes. Fish & Shellfish Immunology, Vol. 44, pp. 156-163.
- Pushpa, K., Gireesh-Babu, P., Rajendran, K. V., Purushothaman, C. S., Dasgupta, S. and Makesh, M. (2014). Molecular cloning, sequencing and tissue-level expression of complement C3 of Labeo rohita (Hamilton, 1822). Fish and Shellfish Immunology, Vol. 40, pp. 319-330.
- Parhi. J., Mukherjee. S.C., Saxena. G., Sahoo. L. and Makesh, M. (2014). Molecular characterization and expression of type-I interferon gene in Labeo rohita. Molecular Biology Reports, Vol. 41, pp. 2979-2987.
- Deepika, A., Makesh, M. and Rajendran, K.V. (2014). Development of primary cell cultures from mud crab, Scylla serrata, and their potential as an in vitro model for replication of white spot syndrome virus. In Vitro Cell and Developmental Biology - Animal, Vol. 50, pp.406-416.
- Neethi, V., Sivakumar, N., Kundan Kumar, Rajendran, K.V. and Makesh M. (2012). Production and application of polyclonal antibodies against recombinant capsid protein of extra small virus of Macrobrachium rosenbergii. Indian Journal of Virology, Vol. 23(3), pp. 374-378.
- Brajendu Kumar, Deepika, A., Makesh, M., Purushothaman, C.S. and Rajendran, K.V. (2012). Production and characterization of monoclonal antibodies to the hemocytes of mud crab, Scylla serrata. Journal of Invertebrate Pathology, Vol. 111, pp. 86–89.
- Manas Ranjan Bag, Makesh, M., Rajendran, K.V. and Mukherjee S.C. (2009). Characterization of IgM of Indian major carps and their cross-reactivity with anti-fish IgM antibodies. Fish and Shellfish Immunology, Vol. 26, pp. 275-278.
- Makesh, M., Koteeswaran, A., Chandran, N.D.J, Manohar, B.M. and Ramasamy, V. (2006). Development of monoclonal antibodies against VP28 of WSSV and its application to detect WSSV using immunocomb, Aquaculture, Vol. 261, pp. 64-71.