Dr S.V. Alavandi, Principal Scientist and Head, Aquatic Animal Health and Environment
Aquatic Animal Health & Environment Division, ICAR-Central Institute of Brackishwater Aquaculture
I have worked at CIBA since 1990 and currently head the Aquatic Animal Health and Environment Division, leading the research programme on aquatic animal disease surveillance with special reference to emerging issues in brackishwater aquaculture. I provide expert services to the Department of Animal Husbandry Dairying and Fisheries, Government of India, for aquatic animal quarantine, import of aquaculture inputs and related technical matters. This has included work on the import risk analysis for the introduction of Pacific white shrimp to India. I previously worked at the Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute (CMFRI), Cochin beginning in 1984, and carried out research on the occurrence of heterotrophic microorganisms and mercury contamination in coastal and marine waters.
- National Surveillance Programme for Aquatic Animal Diseases.
- Prevention and management strategies for viral, microbial and parasitic diseases of candidate species in brackishwater ecosystems.
- Development of diagnostics and vaccines for sustainable aquaculture.
- Network project on agricultural bioinformatics and computational biology.
- Abhilash E.C. and Alavandi S.V. (2017). Isolation and characterisation of Vibrio alginolyticus lytic bacteriophage φVa-1 from brackishwater clam Meretrix meretrix in India. Indian J. Fish., Vol. 64(3), pp. 116-121.
- Kumar, S., Jangam, A.K., Akhil, V., Rajendran, V., Katneni, V.K., Rajan, J.J.S., Grover, M., Nagaleekar, V.K., Alavandi, S.V. and Vijayan, K.K., (2017). Draft Genome Sequence of the Luminescent Strain Vibrio campbellii LB102, Isolated from a Black Tiger Shrimp (Penaeus monodon) Broodstock Rearing System. Genome Announcements, Vol. 5(20), pp.e00342-17.
- Satheesh Kumar, T., Vidya, R., Kumar, S., Alavandi, S.V., and Vijayan, K.K. (2017). Zoea-2 syndrome of Penaeus vannamei in shrimp hatcheries. Aquaculture, Vol. 479, pp. 759-767.
- Sathish Kumar T., Navaneeth Krishnan A., Joseph Sahaya Rajan J., Makesh M., Jithendran K.P, Alavandi S.V., Vijayan K.K. (2018). Visual loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) for the rapid diagnosis of Enterocytozoon hepatopenaei (EHP) infection. Parasitology Research. Vol. 117, pp. 1485–1493.
- Rajendran, K.V., Saloni Shivam, Ezhil Praveena P., Joseph Sahaya Rajan J., Sathish Kumar T., Satheesha Avunje, Jagadeesan V., Prasad Babu, S.V.A.N.V., Ashish Pande, Navaneeth Krishnan A., Alavandi S.V., Vijayan K.K. (2016). Emergence of Enterocytozoon hepatopenaei (EHP) in farmed Penaeus (Litopenaeus) vannamei in India. Aquaculture, Vol. 454, pp. 272-280.
- Ramesh Kumar D., Elumalai R., Raichur A.M., Sanjuktha M., Rajan J.J., Alavandi S.V., Vijayan K.K., Poornima M., Santiago T.C. (2016). Development of antiviral gene therapy for monodon baculovirus using dsRNA loaded chitosan-dextran sulfate nanocapsule delivery system in Penaeus monodon post-larvae. Antiviral Research, Vol. 131, pp. 124-130.
- Alavandi S.V., Ananda Bharathi R., Satheesh Kumar S., Dinesh Kumar N., Saravanakumar C., Joseph Sahaya Rajan J. (2015). Tangential flow ultrafiltration for detection of white spot syndrome virus (WSSV) in shrimp pond water. J. Virol. Methods, Vol. 218, pp. 7–13.
- Ponniah A.G., Ravichandran P., Muralidhar M., Alavandi S.V. and Ravisankar T. (2013). Status of adoption of aquaculture planning and management tools for sustainability in India. pp 33-52. In: Miao W., Mohan C.V., Ellis W., Brian D. (eds.) Adoption of Aquaculture Assessment Tools for Improving the Planning and Management of Aquaculture in Asia and the Pacific. FAO Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific, Bangkok, Thailand. RAP Publication 2013/11, 136 p.
- Ng T.F.F., Alavandi S., Varsani A., Burghart S., Breitbart M. (2013). Metagenomic identification of a nodavirus and a circular ssDNA virus in semi-purified viral nucleic acids from the hepatopancreas of healthy Farfantepenaeus duorarum. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms, Vol. 105, pp. 237-242.
- Satheesh Kumar S., Ananda Bharati R., Rajan J.J.S., Alavandi S.V., Poornima M., Balasubramanian C.P., and Ponniah A.G. (2013). Viability of White spot syndrome virus (WSSV) in sediment during sun-drying (drainable pond) and under non-drainable pond conditions indicated by infectivity to shrimp. Aquaculture, Vol. 402–403, pp. 119–126.
- Alavandi S.V., Poornima M. (2012). Viral Metagenomics: A Tool for Virus Discovery and Diversity in Aquaculture. Indian Journal of Virology, Vol. 23, pp. 88-98.
- Saravanakumar C., Dineshkumar N., Alavandi S.V., Salman V., Poornima M., Kalaimani N. (2012). Enrichment and identification of large filamentous sulfur bacteria related to Beggiatoa species from brackishwater ecosystems of Tamil Nadu along the southeast coast of India. Systematic and Applied Microbiology, Vol. 35, pp. 396-403.
- Alavandi S.V., Babu T.D., Abhilash K.S., Vijayan K.K., Kalaimani N. and Santiago T.C. (2008). Loose shell syndrome (LSS) of farmed Penaeus monodon in India is caused by a filterable agent. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms, Vol. 81, pp. 163-171.
- Chrisolite B., Thiyagarajan S., Alavandi S.V., Abhilash E.C., Kalaimani N., Vijayan K.K., Santiago T.C. (2008). Distribution of luminescent Vibrio harveyi and their bacteriophages in a commercial shrimp hatchery in South India. Aquaculture, Vol. 275, pp. 13-19.
- Alavandi S.V., Vijayan K.K., Santiago T.C., Poornima M., Jithendran K.P., Ali S.A., Rajan J.J.S. (2004) Evaluation of Pseudomonas PM 11 and Vibrio fluvialis PM 17 on immune indices of tiger shrimp, Penaeus monodon. Fish & Shellfish Immunology, Vol. 17, pp. 115-120.
ICAR-Central Institute of Brackishwater Aquaculture
75 Santhome High Road, MRC Nagar
Mobile: +91 (44) 24618817
Fax: +91 (44) 24610311
External profile URL