Dr Sujeet Kumar, Scientist
ICAR-Central Institute of Brackishwater Aquaculture
I joined the scientific service in 2008 and have since worked on diverse areas of aquatic microbiology and aquatic diseases. This has included understanding the virulence of bacterial pathogens, quorum sensing, and bacterial toxins. Presently, I am seeking to understand the lytic and lysogenic phages of aquatic origin and their role in controlling luminescent vibriosis in shrimp hatcheries. I have worked on pond microbial ecosystems and their manipulation using biofloc and periphyton-based systems. I have more than 30 publications in peer reviewed journals and serve as reviewer for journals including Aquaculture, Aquaculture Research and Aquaculture International.
- Invertebrate and finfish diseases in brackishwater aquaculture and development of prophylactic and therapeutic strategies.
- Development of diagnostics and vaccines for sustainable aquaculture.
- National Surveillance Programme for Aquatic Animal Diseases.
- Kumar, S., Mashooq, M., Gandham, R.K., Alavandi, S.V., and Viswas, K.N. (2018). Characterization of quorum sensing system in Clostridium chauvoei. Anaerobe, Vol. 52, pp. 92-99.
- De, D., Ghoshal, T.K., Biswas, G., Mukherjee, S., Kumar, S., Anand. P.S.S., Raja, R.A. and Vijayan, K.K. (2018). Evaluation of growth performance in Mugil cephalus l. juveniles fed diets incorporated with fermented plant feedstuffs replacing fishmeal or diets supplemented with fish gut bacteria. Journal of Food Processing & Technology, Vol. 9(4), p 9.
- Kumar, S., Shyne Anand. P.S., De, D., Deo, A.D., Ghoshal, T.K., Sundaray, J.K., Ponniah, A.G., Jithendran, K.P., Raja, R.A., Biswas, G., and Lalitha, N. (2017). Effects of biofloc under different carbon sources and protein levels on water quality, growth performance and immune responses in black tiger shrimp Penaeus monodon (Fabricius, 1978). Aquaculture Research, Vol. 48(3), pp. 1168-1182.
- Kumar, S., Jangam, A.K., Akhil, V., Rajendran, V., Katneni, V.K., Rajan, J.J.S., Grover, M., Nagaleekar, V.K., Alavandi, S.V. and Vijayan, K.K., (2017). Draft Genome Sequence of the Luminescent Strain Vibrio campbellii LB102, Isolated from a Black Tiger Shrimp (Penaeus monodon) Broodstock Rearing System. Genome Announcements, Vol. 5(20), pp.e00342-17.
- Satheesh Kumar, T., Vidya, R., Kumar, S., Alavandi, S.V., and Vijayan, K.K. (2017). Zoea-2 syndrome of Penaeus vannamei in shrimp hatcheries. Aquaculture, Vol. 479, pp. 759-767.
- Shyne Anand, P.S., Kumar, S., Kohli, M.P.S., Sundaray, J.K., Sinha, A., Pailan, G.H. and Dam Roy, S. (2017). Dietary biofloc supplementation in black tiger shrimp, Penaeus monodon: effects on immunity, antioxidant and metabolic enzyme activities. Aquaculture Research, Vol. 48(8), pp. 4512-4523.
- Kumar, S., Chaturvedi, V.K., Kumar, B., Kumar, P., Somarajan, S.R., Mishra, A.K. and Sharma, B., (2015). Effect of alum co-adjuvantation of oil adjuvant vaccine on emulsion stability and immune responses against haemorhagic septicaemia in mice. Iranian Journal of Microbiology, Vol. 7(2), p.79.
- Shyne Anand, P.S., Kohli. M.P., Roy, S.D., Sundaray, J.K., Kumar, S., Sinha, A., Pailan, G.H., and Sukham, M.K. (2015). Effect of dietary supplementation of periphyton on growth, immune response and metabolic enzyme activities in Penaeus monodon. Aquaculture Research, Vol. 46(9), pp. 2277-2288.
- De D., Ghoshal T.K., Ananda Raja R., and Kumar S. (2015). Growth performance, nutrient digestibility and digestive enzyme activity in Asian seabass, Lates calcarifer juveniles fed diets supplemented with cellulolytic and amylolytic gut bacteria isolated from brackishwater fish. Aquaculture Research, Vol. 46(7), pp. 1688-98.
- Kumar, S., Shyne Anand, P.S., De, D., Sundaray, J.K., Raja, R.A., Biswas, G., Ponniah, A.G., Ghoshal, T.K., Deo, A.D., Panigrahi, A., Muralidhar, M. (2014). Effects of carbohydrate supplementation on water quality, microbial dynamics and growth performance of giant tiger prawn (Penaeus monodon). Aquaculture International, Vol. 22(2), pp. 901-912.
- Shyne Anand, P.S., Kohli, M.P.S., Kumar, S., Sundaray, J.K., Dam Roy, S., Venkateshwarlu, G., Sinha, A., Pailan, G.H. (2014). Effect of dietary supplementation of biofloc on growth performance and digestive enzyme activities in Penaeus monodon. Aquaculture, Vol. 418–419, pp. 108–115.
- Kumar, S. and Singh, B.R. (2013). An Overview of mechanisms and emergence of antimicrobials drug resistance. Advances in Animal and Veterinary Sciences, Vol. 1(2S), pp. 7-14.
- Jithendran, K.P. and Kumar, S. (2013). Handbook on Aquafarming - Diseases in Brackishwater Aquaculture. The Marine Products Export Development Authority, Kochi. p. 128.
- Mishra, A.K., Rawat, M., Viswas, K.N., Abhisek, Kumar, S. and Reddy, M. (2013). Expression and lytic efficacy assessment of the Staphylococcus aureus phage SA4 lysin gene. Journal of Veterinary Science, Vol. 14(1), pp. 37-43.
- Shyne Anand, P.S., Kohli, M.P.S., Roy, S.D., Sundaray, J.K., Kumar, S., Sinha, A., Pailan, G.H., and Sukham, M.K. (2013). Effect of dietary supplementation of periphyton on growth performance and digestive enzyme activities in Penaeus monodon. Aquaculture, Vol. 392, pp. 59-68.
- Shyne Anand, P.S., Kumar, S., Panigrahi, A., Ghoshal, T.K., Dayal, J.S., Biswas, G., Sundaray, J.K., De, D., Raja, R.A., Deo, A.D., Pillai, S.M., Ravichandran, P. (2013) Effects of C: N ratio and substrate integration on periphyton biomass, microbial dynamics and growth of Penaeus monodon juveniles. Aquaculture International, Vol. 21(2), pp. 511-24.
ICAR-Central Institute of Brackishwater Aquaculture
#75 Santhome High Road, Raja Annamalai Puram
Chennai 600028, Tamil Nadu
Mobile: +91 (44) 24618817
Fax: +91 (44) 24610311