Prof. Ravindra C. Joshi, Visiting Adjunct Professor of Agriculture
University of the South Pacific
Skills: Climate change, Food security, safety and certification, Molluscs (shellfish and other), Environment and sustainability, Training and education, Ornamentals
My research over twenty five years is focussed on aquatic invasive apple snails and other invasive alien species affecting food and nutrition security of smallholder farmers. With multidisplinary team members, I experiment and devise integrated crop management systems for ecologically sustainable management approaches against invasive alien species in the changing climate.
I have extensive work experience in innovative product development and promotion. I have been invited to share my work on invasive alien species and integrated pest management by many international organisations including FAO/IPPC, World Fish Center, CSIRO, JSPS, SP-IPM, IPPO, APEC, in 25 countries throughout the Asia-Pacifc region, Europe, Africa and South America. I have published four books and over 150 research articles on crop protection and production.
I am currently the TAA Pacific Coordinator; a CABI-SEA Associate; SAFE-Network Pacific Islands Coordinator; Technical Advisor on invasive apple snails to DELTAMED (Asociación de Deltas del Mediterráneo), Amposta, Spain; Senior Adviser on Invasive Apple Snails, NEURICE Project-Funded by European Commission, Spain; and Visiting Adjunct Professor at the University of the South Pacific, Fiji.
- Joshi, R.C., Cowie, R.H. & Sebastian, L.S. (eds.) 2017. Biology and Management of Invasive Apple Snails. Philippine Rice Research Institute (PhilRice), Maligaya, Science City of Muñoz, Nueva Ecija. xvii + 405 p.
- Joshi, C. and Chaichana, R. (2018). Invasive snails leave a trail of destruction.
- Do, V.T., Nguyen, P.N. and Joshi, C. (2018). Invasive apple snails (Pomacea spp.) in Vietnam: Short review. Aquaculture Asia Magazine, Vol. 22(1): 3-8.
- Hajah Aidah binti Haji Mohd Hanifah, Fuziah binti Haji Hamdan, Khairunnisa binti Haji Omar Ali, Jormasita binti Jormasie, Siti Amaniah binti Haji Awang Besar, Masjuwita binti Haji Muhin, Fahmi bin Haji Masri, Norkhadijah binti Haji Latip, Haji Roslan bin Haji Pudin, Mohd Faadzel bin Haji Abdul Rahman, Nurul Hanisah binti Morni, Soetikno S. Sastroutomo, and Ravindra C. Joshi (2018). Invasive apple snails (Pomacea spp.) in Brunei Darussalam: Current status and management in irrigated transplanted rice fields. Aquaculture Asia Magazine Vol. 22(3): 23-25.
- Pomacea canaliculata (golden apple snail) data sheet.
- Joshi, R.C., Delacruz, M.S., Martin, E.C., Cabigat, J.C., Bahatan, R.G., Bahatan, A.D., Abayao, E.H., Choy-Awon, J., Chilagan, N.P. and Cayong, A.B. (2000). Current Status of the Golden Apple Snail in the Ifugao Rice Terraces, Philippines. Journal of Sustainable Agriculture 18 (2-3): 71-90.
- de Brito, F.C. and Joshi R.C. (2016). The golden apple snail Pomacea canaliculata: A review on invasion, dispersion and control. Outlooks on Pest Management 27(4): 157-163.
- Joshi R.C. (2007). Problems with the Management of the Golden Apple Snail Pomacea canaliculata: an Important Exotic Pest of Rice in Asia. In: Vreysen M.J.B., Robinson A.S., Hendrichs J. (eds) Area-Wide Control of Insect Pests. Springer, Dordrecht.
House No. 23-3 Mendoza Drive
Holy Angel Village Phase 3
City of San Fernando
Mobile: +63 9985785570
External profile URL