Dr R. Ananda Raja, Scientist
Aquatic Animal Health and Environment Division, ICAR-Central Institute of Brackishwater Aquaculture
Skills: Health and welfare, Shrimp
I have been working in the Aquatic Animal Health and Environment Division of ICAR-CIBA since 2007. I have a rich experience in the epidemiology of shrimp and fish diseases, the pathobiology of vibriosis in shrimp culture, antibiotic residues in shrimp aquaculture, nanotherapy for Vibrio control, the pathobiology of parasitic diseases of fish and shrimp, and have contributed to disease diagnosis, control and prevention in aquaculture. I maintain interests in pathobiology and therapeutics of fish and shrimp diseases. I am an editorial member of BAOJ Aquaculture and the Journal of Bacteriology and Vaccine Research, and a certified reviewer of Fish and Shellfish Immunology and Microbial Pathogenesis.
- Diseases of finfish and shellfish in brackishwater aquaculture: Diagnostics, prophylaxis and therapeutics.
- Aquatic animal diseases and intervention tools for their management.
- Invertebrate and finfish diseases in brackishwater aquaculture and development of prophylactic and therapeutic strategies.
- Technology development for environmental management in brackishwater aquaculture.
- Improvement of shrimp production and productivity through quality seed production and diversification to other shrimp species.
- Improvement of growth and reproductive traits in penaeid (Fenneropenaeus indicus) through breeding, nutritional and environmental interventions.
- Strategies for sustainable management of degraded coastal land and water for enhancing livelihood security of farming communities.
- National surveillance programme for aquatic animal diseases.
- All India Network Project on Fish Health.
- Development of diagnostics and vaccines for sustainable aquaculture.
Journal articles / periodicals
- Ananda Raja, R., Ghoshal, T.K., Sundaray, J.K., De D., Biswas, G., Sujeet Kumar., Panigrahi, A., Kumaran, M. and Pradhan, J.K. (2012). Status and challenges of livestock farming community in Sunderban India. Indian Journal of Animal Sciences, Vol. 82(4), pp. 436–438.
- Ananda Raja, R., Jithendran, K.P., Panigrahi, A., Sundaray, J.K., Biswas, G., De, D., Ghoshal, T.K. and Sujeet Kumar. (2012). A rare case of Rhabdomyoma in milk fish, Chanos chanos (Forsskål, 1775) associated with Iridoviral infection. Indian Veterinary Journal, Vol. 89(10), pp. 105-107.
- Ananda Raja, R., Kalaimani, N., Panigrahi, A. and Ponniah, A.G. (2014). Effect of season and treatment of seed with antibiotics on grow out culture of Penaeus monodon (Fabricius, 1798) at Sunderban, India. Turkish Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, Vol. 14, pp. 879-885.
- Ananda Raja, R., Panigrahi, A. and Sujeet Kumar. (2012). Epidemiological Investigation of Brackishwater Culture System of West Bengal. Journal of Applied Aquaculture, Vol. 24(1), pp. 49-59.
- Ananda Raja, R., Sridhar, R., Balachandran, C., Palanisammi, A., Ramesh, S. and Nagarajan, K. (2017). Pathogenicity profile of Vibrio parahaemolyticus in farmed Pacific white shrimp, Penaeus vannamei. Fish and Shellfish Immunology, Vol. 67, pp. 368-381.
- Ananda Raja, R., Sridhar, R., Balachandran, C., Palanisammi, A., Ramesh, S. and Nagarajan, K. (2017). Prevalence of Vibrio spp. with special reference to Vibrio parahaemolyticus in farmed penaeid shrimp Penaeus vannamei (Boone, 1931) from selected districts of Tamil Nadu, India. Indian Journal of Fisheries, Vol. 64(3), pp. 122-128.
- Ananda Raja, R., Sujeet Kumar, Sundaray, J.K., De, D., Biswas, G. and Ghoshal, T.K. (2012). Hematological parameters in relation to sex, morphometric characters and incidence of white spot syndrome virus in tiger shrimp Penaeus monodon Fabricius, 1798 from Sunderban, West Bengal. Indian Journal of Fisheries, Vol. 59(4), pp. 169-174.
- Biswas, G., Ananda Raja, R., De D., Sundaray, J.K., Ghoshal, T.K., Shyne Anand, P.S., Sujeet Kumar., Panigrahi, A., Thirunavukkarasu, A.R. and Ponniah, A.G. (2012). Evaluation of Production and Economic Returns of Two Brackishwater Polyculture Systems in Tide-fed Ponds. Journal of Applied Ichthyology, Vol. 28, pp. 116–122.
- De, D., Ananda Raja, R., Ghoshal, T.K., Suchita, M. and Vijayan, K.K. (2018). Evaluation of growth, feed utilization efficiency and immune parameters in tiger shrimp (Penaeus monodon) fed diets supplemented with or diet fermented with gut bacterium Bacillus sp. DDKRC1. isolated from gut of Asian seabass (Lates calcarifer). Aquaculture Research, Vol. 49(6), pp. 2147-2155.
- Shyne Anand, P. S., Sujeet Kumar., Panigrahi, A., Ghoshal, T.K., Syama Dayal, J., Biswas, G., Sundaray, J.K., De, D., Ananda Raja, R., Deo, A.D., Pillai, S.M. and Ravichandran. P. (2013). Effects of C:N ratio and substrate integration on periphyton biomass, microbial dynamics and growth of Penaeus monodon juveniles. Aquaculture International, Vol. 21, pp. 511–524.
Books and monographs
- Ananda Raja, R. and Sujeet Kumar., eds. (2012). Training Manual on Hands on Training on Disease Management and Diagnostics in Brackishwater Aquaculture. Published by the Director, ICAR-CIBA. 156p.
- Vijayan, K.K., Alavandi, S.V., Jithendran, K.P., Poornima, M., Patil, P.K., Otta, S.K., Ezhil Praveena, P., Ananda Raja, R., Bhuvaneswari, T., Vidya, R. and Sathish Kumar, T. (eds). (2017). Training Manual on Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) detection of Enterocytozoon hepatopenaei (EHP) in shrimp. CIBA TM Series 2017 No. 9, 40p.
Book chapters and articles within proceedings
- Ananda Raja, R. and Jithendran, K.P. (2015). Aquaculture Disease Diagnosis and Health Management. In: Santhanam, P., Thirunavukkarasu, A.R. and Perumal, P. (eds). Advances in Marine and Brackishwater Aquaculture. pp. 247-255. Springer India.
- Ananda Raja, R. and Sujeet Kumar. (2014). Advances in Molecular Diagnostics and Therapeutics in Aquaculture Research. In: Sundaray, J.K., Munilkumar, S., Mohanty, R.K. and Otta, S.K. (eds). Frontiers in Aquaculture Research. Narendra Publishing House, Delhi. pp. 195-204.
- Patil, P.K., Alavandi, S.V., Otta, S.K., Satheesha, A. and Ananda Raja, R. (2016). Proceedings of the workshop on “Responsible use of Antimicrobials in Indian Aquaculture: Opportunities and Challenges”. 7th Dec 2016, Central Institute of Brackishwater Aquaculture, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. pp. 48. CIBA special publication No. 83.