With the implementation of the new aquatic animal disease reporting in the Asia Pacific region from January 2021, and in lieu of the published QAAD Reports (last issue published was 4th quarter of 2020), NACA is publishing reported aquatic animal diseases submitted by countries in the Asia-Pacific region. This report covers the fourth quarter of 2022 and the original and updated reports can be accessed from the QAAD page. The following diseases were reported:
- Infection with Aphanomyces invadans (EUS): Bangladesh in rohu (Labeo rohita), catla (Labeo catla) and mrigal (Cirrhinus mrigala); and, India in Puntius japonicus, C. mrigala, snakeheads (Channa marulius, C. striata), and catla (Labeo catla).
- Infection with red seabream iridovirus (RSIV): Chinese Taipei in Asian seabass (Lates calcarifer), hybrid grouper (Epinephelus fuscoguttatus x lanceolatus) and goldlined seabream (Rhabdosarbus sarga); and, India (ISKNV) in freshwater angelfish (Pterophyllum scalare), Ram cichlid (Mikrogeophagus remirezi), Oscar (Astronatus oscellatus) and L. calcarifer.
- Carp edema virus disease (CEV): India in Koi carps (Cyprinus carpio)
- Viral encephalopathy and retinopathy (VER): Chinese Taipei in hybrid grouper (Epinephelus fuscoguttatus x lanceolatus).
- Infection with Tilapia lake virus (TILV): Chinese Taipei in tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus); and, the Philippines in tilapia juveniles (Oreochromis).
- Enteric septicaemia of catfish: Vietnam in pangas catfish (Pangasius microneme and P. hypophthalmus).
- Infection with Perkinsus olseni: India in mussel (Perna viridis).
- Infection with white spot syndrome virus (WSSV): Bangladesh in tiger shrimp (Penaeus monodon) and mud crab (Scylla serrata); Chinese Taipei in whiteleg shrimp (P. vannamei); India in P. monodon and P. vannamei; the Philippines in grow-out of P. monodon, P. vannamei and S. serrata; and Vietnam in P. monodon and P. vannamei.
- Infection with infectious hypodermal and haematopoietic necrosis virus (IHHNV): The Philippines in vannamei.
- Acute hepatopancreatic necrosis disease (AHPND): The Philippines in P. vannamei and P. monodon; and, Vietnam in P. monodon and P. vannamei.
- Infection with Infectious myonecrosis virus (IMNV): India in vannamei.
- Hepatopancreatic microsporidiosis caused by Enterocytozoon hepatopenaei (EHP): India in P. vannamei; and, the Philippines in P. vannamei and P. monodon.
- Infection with Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis: Australia in adult tusked frog (Adelotus brevis) and growling grass frog (Litoria raniformis).
Bangladesh reported Infection with Streptococcus agalactiae in tilapia (O. niloticus), and Infection with Aeromonas spp. in climbing perch (Anabas testudineus), shing catfish (Heteropneustes fossilis), gulsha (Mystus cavasius) and pabda (Ompok pabda).
Senior Programme Officer
Health and Biosecurity